MINNESOTA. University of. A coedu cational State institution of higher learning on the east bank of the Mississippi River in Minne apolis, Minn., established by an act of the Ter ritorial legislature in 1851 and confirmed by the State constitution adopted in 1857. The present charter was adopted in 1868, and the first collegiate work was begun in the following year under the direction of the first president, William Watts Folwell, LL.D., a graduate of Hobart College, and a faculty of nine mem bers. In September 1884 Cyrus Northrop, LL.D., a graduate of Yale and professor of English at that institution, succeeded to the presidency. In 1911 he was succeeded by George Edgar Vincent, LL.D., a graduate of Yale, and dean of the faculties of arts, litera ture and sciences of the University of Chicago. Its government is vested since the death in 1901 of the life regent, John S. Pillsbury, in a board of 12 regents, 9 appointed by the gov ernor of the State and holding office for six years, and three ex-officio members, the gov ernor, the State superintendent of public in struction and the president of the university. The university comprises the following colleges, schools and departments: (1) The Graduate School, with advanced courses in all branches. (2) The College of Science, Literature and the Arts, offering four-year courses; largely elec tive, leading to the degree of bachelor of arts; a four-year course in arts and music leading to the degree of bachelor of arts in music; courses in which the senior work is offered conjointly with the Schools of Law, Medicine, Dentistry and Chemistry, leading to the same degree; also a four-year course in sci ence and medicine leading to the degree of bachelor of science. (3) The College of Engi neering and Architecture is offering five-year courses in civil, mechanical and electrical engi neering, and architecture, leading to the de grees of civil, mechanical and electrical engi neer and architect. The degrees of bachelor of science in engineering and architecture are conferred at the end of the fourth year. (4) The Department of Agriculture embracing (a) the colleges of agriculture (including agricul tural and home economics courses), and fores try, offering four-year courses leading to the degrees of bachelor of science. (b) The schools of agriculture, offering three-year courses adapted especially to the need and op portunities of farm boys and girls. (c) Short courses in dairying, farm management and traction engineering. (d) The experiment sta tions, offering research advantages. (e) Ex tension work in agriculture. (5) The law school giving a three-year course leading to the degree of bachelor of laws. (6) The medi cal school with (a) the five-year course, includ ing one year of hospital interneship leading to the degree of doctor of medicine; (b) the School for Nurses, offering a three-year course leading to the degree of graduate in nursing; and (c) the School of Embalming, offering an annual eight-weeks course, leading to the State embalmers' license. (7) The College of Den tistry with a four-year course leading to the degree of doctor of dental surgery. (8) The
College of Pharmacy offering a three- and a four-year course leading to the degrees of pharmaceutical chemist and bachelor of sci ence in Pharmacy respectively. (9) The School of Mines, offering three five-year courses leading to the degrees of engineer of mines, engineer of mines in geology and metal lurgical engineer. (10) The School of Analyt ical and Applied Chemistry with two five-year courses, the Applied Course leading to the de gree of chemical engineer, the other offered conjointly with the College of Science, Liter attire and the Arts, leading to the degrees of bachelor of arts and bachelor of science in chemistry; and a four-year course in analytical chemistry leading to the degree of bachelor of science in chemistry. (11) The College of Education for the training of teachers and su pervisors, with a two-year course to the degree of bachelor of arts in education. (12) The University Extension Service offer ing educational opportunities to the people of the State through (a) correspondence courses, (b) evening classes, (c) lecture courses, (d) field debates on public questions, (e) reference bureau. The university also has charge of the geological and natural history survey. The de grees conferred for graduate work are the master's degree in arts, science and pharmacy, and the doctor's degree in philosophy and medi cine. No honorary degrees are conferred. The departments of law, medicine and educa tion require two years of collegiate preparation. In all other departments students are admitted on examination or on certificate from accred ited schools of the State. Tuition ranges from $30 to $175 a year. In 1914-15 the faculty num bered 018 and the attendance was 13,252, of whom 5_076 were women. Of this number 4,752 were of college grade, 5,606 sub-collegiate and 2.894 extension. The general library contained 175,000 volumes and there are special libraries in connection with the various departments of instruction. The laboratories are extensive and well equipped. There are dormitories for the School of Agriculture and one dormitory accommodating 90 women on the main campus. The main university grounds comprise about 109 acres and are valued at $2,000,000. The build ings of the entire institution are valued at $5,700,000, and their equipment at about $2,416, 654.35. The university farm, located between Saint Paul and Minneapolis and connected with the main campus by private car line, con sists of about 420 acres and is valued at $413,000. The buildings and equipment of the department of agriculture are estimated at $2, 374,386.35. The university is supported by the income of its permanent endowment, a State tax of three-hundredths of a mill, and special legislative appropriations for maintenance, buildings and equipment. The gross income for 1914-15, exclusive of special appropriations, was $9:*:,206.56. The endowment was $1,605, 356.62 and the value of all the university prop erty, 12,800,205.55.