Home >> Encyclopedia Americana, Volume 23 >> Puvis De Chavannes to Radium Therapy >> Queretaro

Queretaro

miles, city and national

QUERETARO, Mexico, capital of the state of Queretaro, distant from the City of Mexico by the National Railway 167 miles and by the Central 153 miles, and from El Paso, Texas, by the Central 1,071 miles and from Laredo, Tex., by the National 580 miles; eleva tion 5,904 feet above sea-level. Here is the famous Hercules Cotton Mill, one of the oldest and most extensive in the Republic, employing almost 2,000 operatives, and here are also sev eral other manufacturing industries, including woolen mills. Some miles distant are the famous opal mines, which have been worked for centuries, producing enormous quantities of the precious stones, but which are now becoming gradually exhausted. The water supply is ob tained from the mountains through a great stone aqueduct five miles in length. The city has a complete system of electric lighting, a well-equipped street railway and many sub stantial business structures. The Bank of Queretaro, with a capital of $1,000,000, a branch of the National Bank and an agency of the Bank of San Luis Potosi supply the financial needs of the community. There are numerous

churches, one of the oldest and most prominent of which is the Santa Rosa. The Civil College is the most notable educational institution. In this are taught law, engineering, chemistry, etc. There are two museums, one of which is de voted to history and the other to commerce; and a library connected with the Civil College contains 9,000 volumes. Other notable build ings are the Government Palace, built of basalt, the Iturbide Theatre and a bull-ring; there are also numerous parks. The city was founded by the Aztecs about 1440; was conquered by the Spaniards in 1531 and is noted in modern his tory as the scene of the capture, imprisonment and execution of Emperor Maximilian in 1867 by the Mexican government. Pop. about 38,000.