RAAB, rib, Johann Leonhard, German etcher and engraver: b. Schwaningen, near Anspach, Bavaria, 29 March 1825; d. Munich, 2 April 1899. He was educated at Nuremberg and at the academy in Munich and received an appointment as professor of engraving at the latter place in 1869, which he held until 1895. His work includes engravings after Raphael, Titian, Veronese, Kaulbach, Lessing, Schwind, Ramberg and others, besides a collection of 50 etchings reproduced from the most notable works in the old Pinakothek at Munich. He was a member of various art academies and received gold medals at Paris, Berlin, Vienna and Munich.
RAAB (Gvoit, dyft), Hungary, capital of a province of the same name, situated at the confluence of the Raab with a minor branch of the Danube, the so-called Little Danube, 70 miles southeast of Vienna, a position uniquely advantageous from both a military and com mercial viewpoint. Its importance dates from
early Roman occupation when it was called Arabona or Rabona. The Turks held it 1594 98. In the 18th and early 19th century it wag an important fortress. In 1809 the combined Austrian-Hungarian forces were defeated here by the French troops under Eugene Beauhar nats. During the Hungarian revolution it was stormed by the Austrians on 28 June 1849. It is the centre of a number of railroad lines, seat of the provincial authorities and of a bishop, possesses high schools, normal schools and grammar schools, carries on an extensive trade in grain, horses and pigs, and has a number of industrial establishments for the manufacture of machinery, cutlery and oil. The population of the province is about 92,000, that of the city 44,300.