RACINE, Wis., city county-seat of Racine County, on Lake Michigan at the mouth of Root River, and on the Chicago, Milwaukee and Saint Paul and Northwestern railroads, about 22 miles south of Milwaukee.and 65 miles north of Chicago. It has steamboat connections with all the lake ports, and electric lines extend to all the nearby towns, It is 40 feet above the surface of the lake, and 690 feet above sea bevel. It was settled in 1834; in 1843 was in corporated as a village, and in 1849 as a ciiy. -Racine has one of the best harbors on the lake. 'It is the commercial and industrial centre of a productive agricultural region about midway be tween' Milwaukee• and Kenosha. There are many creameries and an extensive lumber and coal trade is carried on. The chief manufactur ing establishitents are knitting mills, machine shops, flour and lumber mills, carriage factories, -foundries; boot and shoe factories, tanneries, valise and trunk factories, steel spring works, hosiery mills, furniture factories, breweries, plating works and woolen mills. The products from other manufactories are 'bedding, men's clothing, paints, mangles, fanning mills, wind mills, 'bicycles, bits, sheet iron, brass and copper goods, iron specialties, malted milk, chemicals, • soap and other articles. The manufacturing interests are steadily increasing; it is the second city in the State in the value of its mantifac tures. In 1910 the capital invested in its 142 industrial establishments, employing 10,354 per - sons and having an annual payroll of $6,679,000, was$36,326,000, and the value of the output was $24,673,000. The prominent public buildings and institutions are the government building, the county courthouse, the municipal buildings, Saint Luke's Hospital, Saint Mary's Hospital, Taylor Orphan Asylum and the Dominican Convent. The educational institutions are Ra
cine College (P.E.), founded in 1852, the Racine Grammar School (P.E.), Saint Catharine's Academy (R.C.), a public high school, public and parish schools, a public library, two libra ries connected with Racine College and the Y.M.C.A. library. In 1915-16 the total enrol ment in 191 public schools was 7,575 pupils who were instructed by 249 teachers. Racine, in 1918, had seven banks, three of which were national, with a total capital of $950,000 and deposits of $10,502,000. There were also two daily and three weekly newspapers, one each of the latter being English, German and Danish. In 1910, of the total population which in 10 years had increased over 30 per cent, only 112 were negroes. About 33 per cent of the white population, 12,509, were foreign born, chiefly in Denmark, Germany, Russia, Austria-Hun gary and Great Britain and its colonies.
The government is administered under a revised charter of 1905, which provides for a mayor, who holds office two years, and a coun cil. The mayor appoints the fire and police commissioners and, subject to the approval of the council, the members of the board of educa tion. In 1914 the total receipts were $1,491,259; the expenditures for all purposes, $1,317,864; the assessed value of real estate and personal property, $49,759,719; the tax rate, $13.52 per $1,000; the funded debt, $940,000, less a sinking fund of over $10,000. The city has 12 parks, three playgrounds, some public beaches and 35 miles of paved streets. Pop. about 38,002. Consult Amps', 'History of Racine and Kenosha Counties, Wis.' (Chi cago 1879); Leach, E. W.,