Home >> Encyclopedia Americana, Volume 23 >> Puvis De Chavannes to Radium Therapy >> Radcliffe College

Radcliffe College

courses, harvard, university and history

RADCLIFFE COLLEGE, a college for the education of women, affiliated with Harvard University, Cambridge Mass. Its forerunner was the Society for tie Collegiate Instruction of Women, organized in 1879 to provide syste matic instruction for women by professors and instructors in Harvard. This society was in corporated three years after its organization, and its educational work proved so successful that in 1894 it was formally affiliated with the university. At that time the name of the society was changed to Radcliffe College, power to grant degrees was conferred and the presi dent and fellows of Harvard University were constituted the board of visitors of Radcliffe, which should have supervision over the ad ministration of the affairs of the college, the granting of degrees, the appointment of in structors, etc. All diplomas given by Radcliffe are countersigned by the president of Harvard and bear the university seal. Most of the courses of study arc identical with the Harvard courses, and graduate students arc admitted to some of the graduate courses of the university. The courses are divided into three groups in the different branches of study: (1) courses primarily for undergraduates; (2) courses for graduates and undergraduates; (3) courses primarily for graduates. Courses in Semitic

languages and history, history and theory of education pedagogy and the history and theory of art and music are included in the curriculum. The degrees of A.B., A.M. and Ph.D. are con ferred. There are two fellowships, one for the promotion of the study of Greek history, litera ture, art and archaeology at the American School at Athens, and one for the promotion of the study of social problems at a settlement house in Boston; there are also 54 scholar ships and a number of prizes. The college has laboratories of physics, chemistry, zoology and botany, a gymnasium, dormitories, etc.- ' the library numbered 35,323 volumes in 1918; the Harvard University library and museums arc also opened to students of Radcliffe; in 1904 a new hall fully equipped with auditorium, club rooms, etc., was built. The students in 1918 numbered 665 and the faculty 147. Le Baron Russell Briggs of Harvard University was appointed president in 1903. In 1918 income producing funds amounted to $1,045,000 and the total income was given as $102,340. Since its organization 1,619 students have been gradu ated. Consult Dowst, H. P.,