Home >> Encyclopedia Americana, Volume 23 >> Puvis De Chavannes to Radium Therapy >> Radcliffe_2

Radcliffe

college, london and oxford

RADCLIFFE, John, English physician: b. Wakefield, 1650; d. Carshalton, Surrey, 1 Nov. 1714. He was educated at University College, Oxford, was a Fellow of Lincoln College, 1669 77, graduated in medicine in 1675 and, at Ox ford, began the practice of medicine, but remov ing to London in 1684 soon established a large practice which he maintained, it is said, more by his witty conversation than his medical skill. In 1686 he became physician to the Princess Anne of Denmark, and frequently attended William III after his succession. His blunt ness of speech lost to him the favor of Prin cess Anne and later of King William, though he continued to number many of the nobility among his patients and prescribed for Pope and Swift. He was made a Fellow of the Col lege of Physicians in 1687, acted for many years as governor of Saint Bartholomew's Hospital and in 1690 and 1713 was elected to Parliament. His learning was often depreciated; but he seems to have been an acute observer of symp toms and his immense practice gave him a wide field for observation. By his will, property was

left in trust for the foundation of two medical traveling fellowships, and for the purchase of perpetual advowsons for members of Uni versity College. He also left money for the erection of various public buildings, among which was i40,000 for the public library in Ox ford, since called the Radcliffe Library. From estates left in trust to the executors to adminis ter for charitable purposes according to their judgment were , built the Radcliffe Infirmary, the Osbervatory at Oxford and enlargements to Saint Bartholomew's Hospital. Later money was granted toward the buildings of the College of Physicians in London, the Oxford Lunatic Asylum and Saint John's Church, Wakefield. His prescriptions were collected and published by E. Strother, as