STETTIN, stet-ten', Germany in Prussia, capital and port of Pom&ania, and of the gov ernment of Stettin, on the Oder, 60 miles north east of Berlin. The old and new towns are distinct sections. Since the removal of the for tifications (1873) the town has extended greatly and several outlying villages have become incor porated in the main town. Both the Oder and the Parnitz, a tributary, are spanned by sev eral bridges. There are numerous public squares embellished by statues of German sov ereigns and other celebrities. There are many churches, of which the churches of Saint James (14th century) and Saint Peter's (1124) are most noteworthy, also a fine synagogue. Of secular 'buildings may be mentioned the royal palace (1346), now used for government pur poses ; the old town-hall, the exchange, asylum, orphan-home, concert-hall and club, arsenal, schools of architecture, technical school, etc. Stettin is one of Germany's chief ports and an important shipbuilding centre. The industries
are varied and include iron-foundries, engi neering works, manufacturing of ready-made clothing, chemical, cement, soap, oil, paper and pasteboard works, sugar refineries and 'famous breweries and distilleries. In 1898 a free har bor east of the Lastadie suburb was opened, and in 1900 another new harbor on the east hank of the Oder. A ship-canal connects Stettin with Berlin, and ocean-going vessels now load and unload at its docks. The imports include coal, iron, soda and potash, seeds, coffee, cotton, wine, corn, herrings, timber; the exports are sugar, timber, liquor, grain, po tatoes and flour. In the 12th century Stettin had already attained considerable importance. In 1121 Boleslas, Duke of Poland, introduced Christianity. The Treaty of Westphalia ceded the town to the Swedes, and it subsequently became a possession of Prussia. Pop. 257,400.