Home >> Encyclopedia Americana, Volume 26 >> Sunstroke to Switzerland >> Swarthmore

Swarthmore

science, engineering and college

SWARTHMORE (swarth'mor) COL LEGE, located at Swarthmore, Pa. It was fowided by the liberal (or Hicksite) body of the Society of Friends, and was first opened in 1869. The main building was destroyed by fire in 1881, but was immediately rebuilt The col lege now confers regularly but one baccalaure ate degree, that of A.B. This was the original custom until 1874, when the practice of confer ring the three degrees of A.B., B.S. and B.L., and the special degree of bachelor Of science in civil engineering was adopted; in 1903 the college returned to its first practice. Courses in engineering and mechanic arts are offered, and provision is made for a special course leading to the degree of bachelor of science in civil engineering. The A.B. course includes certain prescribed studies, one. major study in any one department in which three full years of college work must be completed, and electives to com plete the required number of hours. The pre scribed studies include English, Bible study, history. or economics, at least one language and one science, and mathematics, or engineering. In the departments of biology, chemistry and physics courses are planned to prepare for the study of medicine. The degrees of master

of arts and civil engineer are conferred for graduate work. Swarthmore has been from the first a coeducational college, being the sec ond institution east of the Alleghany Moun tains to offer instruction to men and women on absolutely equal terms. Though it is a small college, and not a university, it is especially well equipped for an institution of its size, especially in the science and engineering departments. It has a campus comprising more than 200 acres, bordered by the gorge of Crum Creek, and in cluding the farm on which Benjamin West, the artist, was born. The chief buildings are Par rish Hall (the main building),. Science Hall, the observatory, the two gymnasiums, the presi dent's house and residences of the professors, Wharton Hall (a new dormitory). There are two fellowships and 17 scholarships. The pro ductive funds amount to about $1,600,000 and the annual income to $170,000, the library con tains 35,000 volumes, including the Fnends' Historical Library. The students number 450 and the faculty about 50.