SYRACUSE UNIVERSITY, located at Syracuse, N. Y., was chartered in 1870. The collegiate department, which was first opened in 1871, was the continuation of Genesee College, founded at Lima, N. Y., in 1849. In 1872 the Geneva Medical College, founded in 1835, was moved to Syracuse and became the College of Medicine of the university and in 1873 the College of Fine. Arts was organized. This latter was an experiment in American education and has proved eminently success ful. The College of Law was added in 1895, the College of Applied Science in 1901, the Teachers' College in 1906, the Library School in 1896, the Summer School in 1901, the Grad uate School in 1911, the New York State Col lege of Forestry in 1911, the College of Agri culture in 1910, the School of Oratory in 1914. The Hospital of the Good Shepherd became a part of the university in 1915. The College of Liberal Arts offers one course leading to the degree of A.B. The course includes certain required studies, one major subject (six hours a week for two years), one minor subject (three hours a week for two years) and free elec tives to complete the required number of hours. Instruction in Bible study is a part of the curriculum hut the courses are elective. The Graduate School provides for work leading to the degrees of A.M., M.S. and Ph.D. The College of Fine Arts offers a four years' course in architecture, leading to the degree of B.Ar., a four years' course in painting, leading to the degree of B.F., four-year courses in piano vocal, organ and violin, leading to the degree of B.Mus., a course in Belles-lettres leading to the degree of B.L. These courses include in struction in general history, philosophy, etc., as well as in theory, history and practice of the arts. The College of Medicine offers a four years' course, leading to the degree of M.D., and the College of Law a three years' course, leading to the degree of LL.B. Two years must be spent in a college of liberal arts before the medical course is undertaken and one year before the course in law can he undertaken. Students can so arrange their electives as to complete the college and medical courses in seven years, the college and law courses in six years. The College of Ap plied Science offers courses in civil, electrical, mechanical and chemical engineering, leading to the degrees of C.E., E.E., M.E. and B.S.
in chemical engineering. The students main tain literary, historical and scientific associa tions and the Greek-letter fraternities are well represented. Physical training is a regular part of the collegiate course and there is a general interest in athletics. All business of the ath letic teams is in the hands of the athletic gov erning board, which includes representatives of the faculty, the students, the alumni and in terested business men of the city. Dormitories for women include Winchell Hall, Haven Hall, Reid Hall and eight cottages. Sims Hall is the dormitory for men. Many of the students live in their fraternity houses. The campus contains 100 acres situated on a hill overlook ing the city and surrounding country. The university farm is located a mile from the campus. The buildings of the university in clude (1916) the Hall of Languages, the Charles Demarest Holden Observatory, the Carnegie Library, the John Crouse Memorial College (for the College of Fine Arts), the College of Medicine, the College of Law, the Archbold Stadium and Gymnasium, the Women's Gymnasium, the Esther Baker Steele Hall of Physics, the Lyman Cornelius Smith College of Applied Science (containing shops for metal and wood work), the Administration Building, Lyman Hall of Natural History, Bowne Hall of Chemistry, New York State College of Forestry building, the Photography building, the free dispensary, Margaret Olivia Slocum Teachers' College, the Joseph Slocum College of Agriculture, nearly a block of hos pital buildings and the University block, one of largest commercial buildings in the in terior of New York State, erected for invest ment purposes. In 1902 the United States gov ernment established a weather observing sta tion with complete equipment in the Hall of Languages. The library contains over 100,000 volumes, including the general library, the his torical library of Leopold von Ranke, purchased in 1887 and other special libraries in economics, science, etc. The Syracuse City Library and the law library of the State Court of Appeals are open to students. The students number over 4,000, of whom 1,500 are in the College of Liberal Arts, and the faculty, 325.