TALLADEGA COLLEGE, located at Talladega, Ala. It is open to all persons with out regard to color or race, but is practically for the education of the negro race, and its work is arranged to meet their needs. It was founded in 1867 by the American Missionary Association (Congregational), aided by the Freedman's Bureau; and was the first college open to colored pupils in Alabama; the charter was obtained in 1869. A farm was bought in 1877, additions to it were made in 1887 and 1902 until the land owned by the college includes about 800 acres. The college is coeducational and aims to secure the best development of social character by the association of students of both sexes under the same general discipline and careful supervision. The college organiza tion includes seven departments. The theologi cal department offers three courses, the clas sical course including thc study of the Bible in Hebrew and Greek, leading to the degree of D.D.; the English course, the same as the classical without the study of the Bible in the original languages; the Bible training course, of two years, including almost entirely special study of the Bible without the other studies of the usual theological course. The college de partment offers two courses. the classical and the scientific, leading to the degrees of A.B.
and BS.; and the college preparatory depart ment has two corresponding courses of three years, differing only in the last year. The normal course requires four years' work be yond the grammar grades, the first year being the same as the first year of the college pre paratory; it includes practice work in the pri mary and intermediate grades. In the depart ment of music singing lessons are a part of the curriculum in all grades, in addition to which there is more advanced work in vocal music and in pianoforte. Industrial training has always
received attention at the college. Students do the greater part of the work on the farm and in the care of the dormitories, laundry, etc., some give the day to this work and study in night classes. There are also printing and car pentry work provided; student labor has had a part in the erection of most of the buildings. Different groups of girls in the college depart ment have entire charge of the housekeeping in Foy Cottage, the girls' industrial house. In addition to this instruction is given the boys in the third to seventh grades in woodwork ing and drafting, in the eighth grade in forg ing, and to the girls in the third to seventh grades in sewing and dressmaking and in the eighth grade in cooking. Instruction is also given to students in the preparatory and normal departments in agricultural sub jects and in nurse training. The col lege buildings are situated on high ground about half a mile from the city; they include Swayne Hall (the main college building), Graves Hall (theological building), Foster Hall (women's dormitory), Stone Hall (men's dor mitory), Cassedy School (primary and inter mediate grades), Foy Cottage (girls' industrial house), the Slater Shop (for boys' industrial work), a library building, the De Forest Me morial Chapel, also the laundry, printing office and houses for teachers. The college ranks among the leading negro educational institutions in the South, and has won the respect and con fidence of the white men of the community. Its productive funds in 1917 amounted to ii256,000; it is also assisted by the American Missionary Association; the library contained 16,500 vol umes; the students numbered 707, and the faculty 40.