Home >> Encyclopedia Americana, Volume 26 >> Swordfish to Tanning >> Tanganyika

Tanganyika

lake and london

TANGANYIKA, a-gin-vela, central Africa, a large lake on the boundary between the Kongo Free State and what was German East Africa, touching with its southern extrem ity on British Rhodesia. It lies in the Great Rift Valley, is over 400 miles long, 30 miles wide, and extends in a south-southeast direction from lat. 3 20' to 8' 44' S. The shores are somewhat irregular but there are few islands or reefs. The lake is hemmed in on both sides by lofty, precipitous mountains, through a break in which the water is discharged by the Lulcuga into the KOngo, when the water is high, but in low years there is little or no discharge. Nearly all the surface is navigable, and sound ings at some points have gone below 2,000 feet. The sudden storms of the locality are, however, a real danger to navigation. The water is slightly brackish and swarms with fish,. crocodiles and hippopotami and some

marine mollusks, whose presence suggests former connection with the ocean. English and German steamers ply on the lake; Ujiji is the principal trading station on the shores. The lake was discovered by Speke and Burton in 1858, and later explored by Livingstone and Stanley. It was mapped by E. C. Hore about 1880, and the outline considerably corrected by later explorers. The first steamship was the Good News, launched by the Londan Missionary Society in 1884, and a half dozen now ply the waters. Consult Burton and Speke, Living stone and Stanley's works ; Hore, E. C., 'Lake Tanganyika' (London 1892) ; Moore, J. E. S.,