Home >> Encyclopedia Americana, Volume 26 >> Swordfish to Tanning >> Tangier

Tangier

chiefly and principal

TANGIER, fanjet.% or TANJA, eareji, Morocco, a seaport town on the Atlantic Ocean, near the western entrance of the Strait of Gibraltar, southeast of Cape Spartel. It stands on a height near• a spacious bay, and presents a striking appearance when approached from the sea. It is surrounded by walls, and is de fended by a castle and several forts; but con sists mostly of wretched houses, huddled to gether in narrow, dirty lanes. The residences of the European consuls, and those of a few wealthy merchants are exceptions, and the gradual introduction of good hotels, European stores, electric lighting, etc., is effecting a notable change. The principal building is the castle, occupying a commanding height, but in a very dilapidated state. The total value of the imports, chiefly from Great Britain, France (and before the war Austria and Germany), in 1914 was $4,260,000; of the exports, $2,825, 000, chiefly to Spain, Great Britain, Egypt, France and the United States. The principal

articles of export are eggs, oxen, slippers, wax, woolens, goat skins and carpets. The internal traffic is chiefly with Tetuan and Fez. In the time of the Roman Empire, Tangier, under the name of Tingis, was the capital of western Mauretania. It afterward came into the pos session of the Vandals, Byzantines and Arabs in succession. From the last it was taken by the Portuguese in 1471, and in 1662 was an nexed to the English Crown as part of the dowry of the Infanta of Portugal. In 1684 it was abandoned by the English on account of the expense necessary to keep it up. It was bombarded by the Spaniards in 1790, and by the French in 1844. Pop. estimated at 40,000, including over 9,000 Jews, and about 10,000 Europeans.