TARRYTOWN (from the Dutch, Terwen Dori), "Wheat Town*), N. Y., village, West chester County, on the Hudson River or the expansion of the river called Tappan Sea and on the New York Central and Hudson River Railroad, about 25 miles north of New York and 130 miles south of Albany. A ferry, which connects the village with Nyack on the west bank of the Hudson, gives Tarrytown the ad vantages of the West Shore Railroad.
Tarrytown is one of the oldest settlements in New York; its position on the Hudson made it a convenient landing place for boats going from New York to Albany, and gradually it became a trading post. Its first incorporation included Irvington (q.v.). During the Revolutionary War Tarrytown was a centre of importance; every prominent hill in the vicinity was the scene of an encounter or a fortification. In Tarrytown Andre was captured. On Broadway, one of the prominent streets, about half way to Sleepy Hollow (q.v.) stands a monument com memorating this event so important in the War for Independence. The first monument erected was a small obelisk, raised in 1853 by the in habitants of the county, and bearing upon its pedestal an inscription which told that it marked the "st° where, on 25 Sept. 1780, the spy, po Maj. John Andre, was captured by `John Paulding, David Williams, and Isaac Van Wert, All Natives of this County.* In 1880, the cen tennial anniversary of this capture, there was added a bronze statue of John Paulding; and a bronze panel, upon which was pictured, by Theodore Bauer, the capture of Andre. The additions of 1880 were the gift of John Ander son. The little stream nearby is called Andre
Brook, and a large whitewood, which formerly stood near the monument, was called Andre s tree. In 1777 Vaughan's troops landed here; and here, at the tavern kept by Elizabeth Van Tassel, occurred the capture of the British by Major Hunt and a force of volunteers. The village is well known on account of being the birthplace and home of Washington Irving (q.v.). On the north is Sleepy Hollow (q.v.), where he was buried, on the south of the vil lage is Sunny-side (q.v.), where his home still stands. Other points of historic interest are "Lyndehurst,D formerly "Paulding Manor,* the Philipse manor house, erected in'1683; a monu ment to the Revolutionary soldiers of the manor, unveiled in 1894; and the summer resi dences of many of the noted men of New York.
Tarrytown is in an agricultural region, but it has about 100 manufacturing establishments with a large annual output. The principal pub lic buildings are the Institution of Mercy, an orphanage for boys; the churches, schools and business blocks. The educational institutions are the Washington Irving High School, Irving Institute, Miss C. E. Mason's School, The Knox School, Hackley School, Mary Mount School, public and pansh schools, three public libraries and several private schools. The na tional bank has a capital of $100,000, the sav ings bank has deposits amounting to about $2,000,000, Pop. about 5,752; including North Tarrytown, 4,877, which is industrially a part of the village; total, 10,629.