TEGEA, Arcadia, city of ancient Greece whose site was near the modern Tripolitza. It was situated on the southern portion of a plateau nearly enclosed by mountains, the northern half being occupied by Mantineia. It was a highly fertile region, but was subject to floods because of an insufficiency of outlets through its mountain barriers and together with Mantineia was dependent upon underground drainage conduits. This common dependency was a cause of frequent wars with Mantineia, while Tegea's natural position controlling the chief roads leading from Laconia to Argus and the Isthmus made her for long a bulwark be tween Arcadia and Sparta and caused many wars with the Spartans. Sparta, however, sub dued Tegea about 550 B.C. and forced the city to join the Spartan League but did not other wise deprive it of its independence. Later it joined the Arcadian and Argive League against Sparta, but after a decisive defeat about 468 467 s.c. it again became Sparta's ally. It was a
member of the Arcadian Confederacy after the battle of Leuctra in 371 s.c. and later be longed to the dEtolian League. It remained a place of importance after the Roman conquest of Greece, but in 400 A.D. it was destroyed by Alaric. The excavation of its ruins was be gun in 1879. Its most important building was the temple Athena Alea, rebuilt by the sculptor Scopas in 395 s.c. It was a combination of Doric, Ionic and Corinthian architecture 72 by 154 feet; the sculptures also were• by Scopas and represented the slaying of the Calydonian bear and the combat of Telephus and Achilles. While these are in fragments they were evi dently in the best manner of Scopas. Consult Curtius, E., (Peloponnesos' (1851) Mendel, G., 'Bulletin de correspondence gellinique) (Vol. XXV, 1901); Gardener, E. A., ments of Greek Sculpture' (1915).