Home >> Encyclopedia Americana, Volume 26 >> Telemachus to Textile Printing >> Terre Haute

Terre Haute

public, city, saint, miles, rose, schools and endowment

TERRE HAUTE, ter'e hot (French, mean ing *high land"), Ind., city, county-seat of Vigo County, on the Wabash River, and on the Chi cago and Eastern Illinois, the Evansville and Terre Haute, the Evansville and Indianapolis, the Chicago, Terre Haute and Southeastern, and the Cleveland, Cincinnati, Chicago and Saint Louis railroads. It is 178 miles south of Chicago, 163 miles northeast of Saint Louis, 182 miles northwest of Cincinnati, and 72 miles west of Indianapolis. There are more than a dozen lines of railroads entering the city, two of which were built in 1905. It is one of the most prominent railroad and manufacturing cities of the Middle West. Terre Haute is one of the oldest settlements in the State; in 1816 it was laid out as a city, And in 1833 was chartered.

The city is beautifully laid out on an elevated plateau, amid picturesque surroundings. It is connected with the west side of the river by several handsome railroad bridges, and for the use of the general public there was constructed a fine bridge (contract price, $27,000). There are several parks; the broad streets in summer time present a forest appearance. The residential part has many fine edifices in most beautiful surroundings.

The city is in a rich agricul tural region and in the centre of coal fields comprising over 2,000 square miles, containing a fuel supply which, at the present rate of con sumption, will not be exhausted for 200 years. Coal is shipped from here to points within a radius of 409 miles, and it is a distributing point for about 1,500 carloads per day. The city is the industrial and commercial centre for a large portion of the western part of Indiana and the eastern part of Illinois. The manu facturing industries embrace rolling mills, foundries, distilleries, breweries, flour mills, hominy mills, car works, railroad shops, glass factories, stamping works, feed mills, tool works, fencing works and carriage factory. In the vicinity are large deposits of shale and clay and a number of clay plants are in opera tion nearby. In 1910 (government census) the total number of manufacturing establishments was 170; total capital invested in plants, $10, 371,000; average employees yearly, 5,017; an nual wages paid to employees, $3,219,000; cost of material used during year, $8,657,000; total annual value of products, $21,793,000. Owing to the failure of the natural gas supply in many places, there has been since 1910 an influx of manufacturing industries to take advantage of the cheap fuel and the railroad facilities. This

accounts for the large increase in population.

Public The prominent public buildings are the government building, the county courthouse, city hall, opera house, the Union station, the schools, churches, charitable institutions, hotels and several business houses.

Charitable Institutions and Organizations. —The Rose Ladies' Aid Society cares for a large number of the poor, and has charge of the Home for Old Ladies. This home has an endowment of $100,000. The other institutions and organizations for the relief of the needy are Saint Anthony's Hospital (building cost $160,000), in charge of the Sisters of Saint Francis; Saint Ann s Orphan Asylum, in charge of Sisters of Providence; Rose Orphan Home, endowment, $200,000, building, $130,000; Union Hospital (Protestant), endowment, $25,000; Rose Dispensary, endowment, $200,000; and a number of church aid societies.

The educational Institutions are the Indiana State Normal School, which annually enrolls over 1,000 pupils; the Rose Polytechnic Institute, founded by Chauncey Rose and opened in 1883; two high schools, 26 public elementary schools, Roman Catholic and Lutheran parish schools; Saint Joseph's Academy (Roman Catholic) ; Saint Mary's of the Woods, a school for girls; a public library and libraries connected with the Normal School, and the Polytechnic Institute.

Banks and The three national banks have a combined capital and surplus of about $2,000,000; one savings bank has de posits amounting to $1,700,000; and three loan and trust companies have capital and surplus of $1,205,000. The average annual cost for municipal maintenance and operation is $400, 000. The public schools cost annually about $200,000; the police department $29,000; the fire department $40,500; for municipal lighting and streets $50,000.

Govenunent — The city is governed by a special charter granted by the legislature. The mayor and common council appoint or elect the administrative officials. The mayor appoints the boards of public works and public safety; the school board is elected by the council, The chief departments are fire, police, waterworks and municipal lighting. Pop. 75,000.