TEXAS, The University of, the head of the public school system of the State, is located at Austin, except the medical department at Galveston and a loosely connected school of mines at El Paso. The first step toward its establishment was taken in 1839 when the Congress of the republic set aside 40 acres for a campus in the future city of Austin and 50 leagues of public land as an endowment. In 1858 the legislature increased the endowment by adding $100,000 of United States bonds and lands amounting to 10 per cent of all the public lands granted to railways. The Constitu tion of 1876 replaced this 10 per cent by 1,000,000 acres, to which the legislature added another 1,000,000 in 1883. The university was finally organized in 1881, located by a popular vote and opened to students in 1883. Before this the Agricultural and Mechanical College had been opened and although vaguely made a branch of the university by the constitution of 1876, has existed separately under its own board of directors. From its 2,000,000 acres, which are in West Texas and leased to cattle men, the university has an income of nearly $170,000; fees and interest on $650,000 derived chiefly from land sales amount to about $50,000 more. The annual appropriation for running expenses from the legislature for 1919-20 is $950,000. The constitution prohibits the use of legislative appropriations to pay for build ings, and the act establishing the university limits the matriculation fee to $30, admits men and women on equal terms and prohibits any sectarian instruction or religious tests for offi cers or students. The government is in the control of a board of nine regents appointed by the governor with the consent of the senate, three every two years for terms of six years. The departments of the university are (1) the college of arts, (2) the department of law, (3) the department of engineering, (4) the depart ment of medicine, including pharmacy and nursing, (5) the department of education, (6) the graduate department, (7) the summer school and summer normal, (8) the department of extension, (9) the bureau of economic geol ogy and technology. The B.A., B.S., M.A.,
Ph.D., LL.B., LL.M., C.E., E.E., M.E., and M.D. depress are conferred. Provisioti is made for taking the BA and M.D. in seven years, the B.A. and LL.B. in six. Twenty courses, some what elective under a system of grouped studies, are required for the B.A. Fourteen and one half high school units are required for admis sion, the department of law requiring in addition 10 college courses, the medical department also requiring 10. The LL.B. requires three years, the M.D. four years of nine months each. The summer school offers during the summer session of three months as many as possible of the courses of the regular session. In addition to the older collegiate subjects, courses in journalism, home economics, business administration, music and Slavic language are offered. The usual col legiate clubs, fraternities, associations, fellow ships and scholarships abound, and an unusu ally broad system of student government pre vails, accompanied by the honor system on ex aminations. The campus at Austin is sur rounded by churches and an association of reli gious teachers give courses which are allowed to count toward the B.A. At Austin are the Main, Law and Engineering buildings, the li brary, two dormitories, a power-house, a chemi cal laboratoy and about 25 "shacks," cheap frame buildings which growth has necessitated and which are used for various purposes. At Galveston are the Medical College building, the five buildings of the John Sealy Hospital, a dormtory for women and a nurses' home. The library has over 150,000 bound volumes, including a number of rare first editions. The laboratories are well equipped. There are various funds, mostly small, and numerous spe cial collections. During the regular session of 1918-19, 3,100 students were in attendance. In addition 500 other individuals were in the sum mer school, 500 in the summer normal and 700 doing correspondence work. The attendance has more than doubled since 1908. The vot ing faculty numbers 150, the whole staff over 350, the affiliated high schools nearly 300. Most of the Texas colleges officially use the affiliated list of the university.