TICONDEROGA, ti-lcón-di-th'ga, N. Y., village, Essex County, on the stream which is the outlet of Lake George, and on the Delaware and Hudson and the Rutland railroads, about 95 miles north by east of Albany, and a short distance from lakes and George. In the vicinity are rich deposits of crystalline graphite, the chief source of the supply in the United States. The village is in an agricul tural region. The good water power is utilized to some extent for manufacturing. The chief manufactures are lumber products, wood pulp, paper and dairy products.
The history of Ticonderoga and vicinity be gins with the early settlement of Vermont and northern New York. In 1755 a fort was built here, by the French. They called it Fort Caril Ion, on account of the caroling or chiming of the waters. .The value of the site, near the head of Lake Champlain and at the entrance to Lake George which, with a short portage, formed a waterway to the Hudson, was recognized by both the French and English. Two years after the erection of Fort Carillon it was garrisoned by a force of 9,000 men under Montcalm. Wishing to extend the power secured by so advantageous a position, Mont calm attacked and captured Fort William Henry on Lake George. In July the following year General Abercrombie attempted to capture Fort Carillon, and although he had a force of 15,000, he was unsuccessful; his loss was about 2,000. In 1759 another and successful effort was made to wrest the fort from the French; General Amherst with a force of 12,000 captured both Carillon and Crown Point. After the be
ginning of the Revolutionary War, the whole region bordering on Lake Champlain, Lake George and the Hudson River became a battle ground. On 10 May 1775, a small force of Americans, less than 100 in number and known as °Green Mountain Boys," under Ethan Allen (q.v.), demanded the British commander to surrender °in the name of the Great Jehovah and the Continental Congress!') and thus, despite the fact that Allen held no commission and also that the Continental Congress had not convened, captured the tort, then called Ticonderoga. Burgoyne's plan of campaign in cluded regaining this fort, and on 30 June 1777 he endeavored to capture the Americans, but failed. On 5 July of the same year, he made another attempt and this time succeeded. Later other engagements took place here and in the vicinity, but the English kept possession until after the surrender of Burgoyne. In 1780 an English force occupied the fort for a short time. At the close of the wars with England the fort ceased to be of importance, and as it was not occupied it soon became a ruin. Near the village stands a part of the gray stone walls of the old fort. Many tourists visit the village each year, and it has some note as a summer resort. Pop. 2,918.