TIFFIN, Ohio, city, county-seat of Seneca County, on the Sandusky River and on the Baltimore and Ohio, the Pennsylvania and the Cleveland, Cincinnati, Chicago and Saint Louis railroads, about 80 miles north by west of Columbus, the State capital and 40 miles south east of Toledo. It was settled in 1817 by Eras tus Bowe, and incorporated in 1835. In 1836 it was chartered as a city. It is the commercial and industrial centre for a large portion•of the country, in which are many fine farms. In the vicinity of Tiffin are deposits of clay and glass sand. The chief manufacturing establishments of the city are machine shops, glass works, pot teries, wagon and carriage works, motor truck works, glove and mitten works, candy factories, breweries, iron works, planing mills, emery wheel works, flour mills and furniture factory. There are about 5,000 employees in the city's manufactories. The principal public buildings
are the county courthouse, the municipal build ings, the churches and schools. There are 16 churches, representing 10 denominations, and Saint Francis Hospital and Home. The educa tional institutions are Heidelberg University (Reformed), opened in 1850 (nearly 650 stu dents in 1915), Ursuline College, public and parish schools and two libraries. Tiffin is the location of the national home of the Junior Order of United American Mechanics, contain ing about 400 children. The four banks have a combined capital of $500,000; the annual busi ness done through the banks amounts to over $3,000,000. The .government is administered under a board of public safety, board of public service and council of seven members elected by wards and at large. Pop. 14,256.