Home >> Encyclopedia Americana, Volume 26 >> Thrace to Topeka >> Titusville

Titusville

city, oil, excellent and electric

TITUSVILLE, Pa., city in Crawford County, on Oil Creek and on the Pennsylvania and the New York Central railroads, 100 miles north of Pittsburgh and 50 miles southeast of Erie, Pa. The city is on a plain which slopes slightly toward the south and east. The natu ral drainage is supplemented by an excellent system of sewerage. The water is obtained from artesian wells. The broad streets are largely paved and tree-lined. Electric trolley lines traverse the principal streets. The manu facturing industries consist of one of the larg est iron works in the country, a high grade steel works, machine shops and foundries, large oil refineries, paraffine works, large branch of the American radiator works, large branch of the Bethlehem Steel Company, chemical works, planing mills, specialty works, cutlery works and an electric light and power plant. The out put consists of iron, car tanks, steam engines and boilers, forgings, oil well machinery and fittings, gasoline engines, refined oils, gasoline, etc. There are large oil fields in the vicinity and the first well sunk for petroleum was drilled just outside of the city limits in the summer of 1859, striking oil on 27 August of that year. There are three banks consist ing of a national bank, a commercial bank and a trust company. One of the finest banking

buildings in the State was erected in 1918. Among other public buildings are 12 large edi fices and two halls for religious services, a high school with a four-year course, four graded public schools and a kindergarten, all under one superintendent; Saint Joseph's Acad emy, kindergarten and parish school. The city has also an excellent library, "Benson Memo rial Library?' an excellent Young Men's Christian Association and Young Women's Christian Association and the Titusville Hospi tal. Titusville was first settled in 1796, becom ing a borough in 1847 and chartered as a city in 1866. The town was laid out in streets in 1809. It suffered great damage from flood and fire 5 June 1892 which destroyed one-third of the city with a loss of 60 lives. The city owns and operates the waterworks and one of the electric light plants. The government is vested in the mayor and five commissioners, the mayor being elected for four years and the commis sioners for two years. The majority of the people are native born, the predominating for eign element consisting of Scandinavians, Irish and Germans. Pop. 8,550.