Home >> Encyclopedia Americana, Volume 26 >> Thrace to Topeka >> Toledo Newsboys Associa Tion

Toledo Newsboys Associa Tion

association, boys, city and president

TOLEDO NEWSBOYS' ASSOCIA TION, 'The, was organized 1892, with its founder, John E. Gunckel (q.v.), as president. Mr. Gunckel remained president of the asso ciation until his death in 1915. Through his untiring efforts the association had a marvelous growth and was the means of reclaiming the heretofore neglected boy and girl and remold ing their lives, making them useful and sub stantial citizens, capable of carrying on and furthering the plans of the great metropolis, which, like all cities, must be trusted to a rising generation. Today former newsboys of this association are filling and in many instances managing the great business enterprises of the city. Following his death Mr. J. D. Robinson, one of Toledo's greatest philanthropists, became its president, and again the association was placed on a solid foundation. Never in the history of the association, has it enjoyed greater prosperity. The association as in the past is loyally supported by the philanthropic people of the city, and every advantage is offered the boy of the street to become a useful and honored citizen. The boys are constantly warned of the evils and dangers that beset them and urged to refrain from gambling, stealing, lying, swear ing, smoking cigarettes, drinking intoxicating liquors, going into saloons or associating in bad company. A fine brick building built in 1908, costing $110,000, dedicated to the newsboys of Toledo, furnishes them one of the finest audi toriums in the city together with a spacious and well-equipped gymnasium and cadet room, swimming pool of large capacity, fine library, playrooms, furnished kitchen and dining-room, lobbies and special rooms for band and orchestra practice, where the association maintains a 36.

piece band and 14-piece orchestra. The asso ciation now has a membership of 11,500. Sun day afternoon entertainments, a special feature of the association, from 1 October to 31 March, given by the schools, churches and different or ganizations of the city, are highly appreciated by the boys. Each Sunday the auditorium is filled to its capacity. The association also maintains a court of investigation, where erring boys are required to account for misconduct. An employment bureau within the association proves a valuable asset and many boys are placed in responsible positions, later to become partners or managers. The boys are en couraged to return all found articles to the building. Articles of more than $50,000 have been returned to their rightful owners, for which the finder receives an °honor° badge. Each year the entire association is tendered an outing, or better known °Field day," which never fails to add a bright page to the history of the newsboy.