BRUXELLES, RUGGIERO DA BRUGI A, MAESTRO ROGEL and ROGER DE LA PASTURE) , Flemish painter: b. Tournay, Belgium, about 1400; d. Brussels, 16 June 1464. He was the pupil of the painter Robert Campin in Tournay (1427), and five years later was made master of the Guild of Saint Luke in his native city. In 1436 he went to Brussels and was appointed municipal painter. He attended the jubilee at Rome in 1450, and after studying the Italian masters and antiques of Italy and painting several pictures for Italian patrons, one of whom was Cosmo de Medici, returned to Belgium and settled at Brussels. All of his pictures are distinguished by a profoundly religious spirit. They are de signed and drawn with great care and power; the modeling is firm and smooth, the technique brilliant, but there is a certain dryness and leanness in the limbs, hands and feet of his figures, which sometimes almost amounts to distortion and deformity, and is only half re deemed by the beauty of his faces whose ex pression is radiant with faith and celestial in spiration. He was the founder of the Brabant school of painting and had numerous pupils and followers, among them Memling, as well as foreigners who learned from him the use of oils in painting and helped to spread the new method and other characteristics of the Flemish studios. His chief paintings are The Descent
from the Cross,' originally painted for the church of Our Lady of Victories, at Louvain, now in the Escorial, a copy being also in the Prado Gallery; a triptych with the figure of the 'Dead Christ' in the central panel; and altar piece for Saint John's chapel in the church at Middleburgh; (The Adoration of the Shep herds' (all three in the museum at Berlin); and the triptych with a in the centre in Imperial Gallery at Vienna; the (Last Judgment' in the hospital at Beaune; and the (Seven Sacraments) at Madrid. In the Pinalco thek at Munich are to be seen his of the Three Magi' ; and (Saint Luke Painting the Portrait of the Madonna.' Consult Wan trs, (Roger Van der Weyden, ses oeuvres, ses Wves et ses (1856).