Home >> Encyclopedia Americana, Volume 27 >> Siam to The Growth And Con >> Triest

Triest

city, austrian, principal and museum

TRIEST, tri-ese (Italian TRIESTE, the an cient TERGESTEUM), Italy, one of the principal seaports of the kingdom, situated between Gorz and Istria in the Coastland, and at the head of the Gulf of Triest, the extreme upper portion of the Adriatic Sea. The city rises from the water in an amphithea tre formed by the sloping escarpment of the Karst plateau. The old town has nar row and crooked streets, hut in the newer portions, surrounding it on nearly all sides, the streets are broad and regular, with numerous open squares, ornamented with fountains and monuments. The cathedral of San Giusto stands on an eminence on the site of an old Roman temple. Other notable buildings are the magnificent city hall, the old exchange, the fine building of the Austrian Lloyd, the elegant palace of Revoltela, now a municipal museum, and the large Teatro Politeama. There are also remains of a Roman theatre and aqueduct.

The principal educational institutions are the commercial and nautical academy, with an ob servatory, two German and two Italian high schools, a military academy, a public library and archaeological museum. The manufactures include soap, candles, confectionery, playing cards and saddlery, and there are breweries, iron foundries, large petroleum refineries, ma chine shops, oil and lineoleum factories and ship yards. Of the 17 Austrian diets, that of Triest

is the sixth in membership. The city is chiefly important for its commerce. During the last decade of the century, however, the progress was not so rapid, owing to keen competition, and to the fact that Triest ceased to be a free port in 1891, after having been so for nearly two centuries. A great extension of the harbor was undertaken about 1905, and com pleted shortly before the war. There was also much activity in railroad building. Triest has great shipyards and was the headquarters of the great Austrian Lloyd Steamship Company. In 1914 10,686 vessels of 3,871,346 tons were entered and 14,186 vessels of 5,475,445 tons cleared from this port. The principal articles of export are sugar, wool and woolen goods, paper, timber and coal, clothing, metal ware, instruments and watches and glassware. The chief imports are cotton, coffee, fruits and vegetables, hides and animal products, oil, flax and tobacco. Pop. of the city 170,000; of the province about 246,500. About 75 per cent of the people are Italians. It was tinder Austrian control from 1388 until the end of the World War in 1918, when it passed to Italy.