TRINITY COLLEGE, located at Durham, N. C. It was founded as a school of secondary grade in 1838 and was then located in Ran dolph County; in 1851 it became a normal col lege and the next year established a full col lege course and was granted power to confer degrees. In 1857 it was placed under the con trol of the North Carolina Conference of the Methodist Episcopal Church, South, and in 1859 the name was changed to Trinity College. Dur ing the Civil War the college was compelled to close, and was reopened in 1866. In 1891 it was moved to its present site in Durham. Women were admitted to all privileges of the college in 1896. The college offers three groups of studies, all leading to the degree of A. B., the first group requires Latin and Greek in the first two years, the second group sub stitutes French or German for Greek, and the third group is for students intending to do ad vanced work in mechanical, electrical or civil engineering; the work of the last three years is partially elective. Provision is also made for
graduate work for which the degree of A.M., is conferred. There are 50 scholarships and two loan funds for the aid of poor students; tuition is free for those studying for the min istry. A new charter extending the scope of its activities was granted in 1903. The grounds, consisting of 73% acres, are known as Trinity College Park, and are under the municipal government of Durham; the buildings include the Washington Duke building, the Crowell Science building, the Epworth building, the Mary Duke building, the Craven Memorial hall, the Angier Duke gymnasium, a dormitory (erected 1902) and the library of 52,000 vol umes (completed 1903). The productive funds in 1917 amounted to $1,641,000, the increase being largely due to donations from James B. and N. Duke; the students numbered 705 and the faculty 52.