TULANE UNIVERSITY OF LOUIS. IANA, located in New Orleans. This institu tion, under its present name, was created by Act No. 43 of the legislature of 1884. Its oldest department is the Medical College, which was organized as aprivate enterprise in 1834, and which was the first medical college in the Southwest. In 1845 the first Democratic Con stitutional Convention that assembled in the State provided for the establishment of an institution to be known as the University of Louisiana, which should embrace as one of its departments the medical college already in ex istence, together with a department of law, a department of natural sciences and of letters. The State refused to bind itself to support the new university, but in the years following the legislature appropriated about $100,000 for the equipment of the medical department and for a building to house it. The plans of the con vention for the other departments were not realized until 1847. The first meeting of the board of administrators took place 27 April 1847. On 4 May of the same year the board decided that law lectures should begin the following November. On 1 June 1847 a committee was appointed to report on the organization of a department of letters and natural sciences. The first president of the university, elected 21 July 1847, was Dr. Francis Lister Hawks of North Carolina. The academic department existed only as a high school until 1851, when the college proper was opened with 12 freshmen and two sophomores. The medical college was the most successful department down to 1861, when the Civil War closed the university. At the close of the conflict the law and medical colleges were reopened, but the reopening of the academic department was de layed. In November 1878 the academic depart ment was revived under Dean Richard H. Jesse. Beginning in 1879, the State made an appropria tion of $10,000 a year for its support, the first regular appropriation it had ever received. Private munificence, however, was now to take the place of State appropriations. In 1882 Paul Tulane, a former merchant of New Orleans, made a large donation for the higher education of white young persons" in the city of New Orleans. This donation was augmented until it amounted to more than a million dollars. The acceptance of this gift was followed by the absorption of the old University of Louisiana, which was effected by Act 43 of the general assembly of 1884, and which has been ratified by the present constitution (1898). As a quasi State institution the university is exempted trom all taxation on its property, and in recog nition thereof it remits all claim to the appro priation of $10,000 and gives a free scholarship to every legislative and senatorial district in the State. To the presidency of Tulane Uni versity of Louisiana the board called a dis tinguished soldier and scholar, Col. Wm.
Preston Johnston, who labored until his death in 1899 to enlarge the usefulness of the insti tution. He was succeeded in 1900 by Dr. Edwin A. Alderman, who, in turn, was succeeded in 1905 by Dr. E. B. Craighead, in 1912 by Dr. Robert Sharp and in 1918 by Dr. Albert B. Dinwiddie. In 1886 Mrs. Josephine Louise Newcomb donated $100,000 to the Tulane University of Louisiana, for the higher educa tion of white girls and young women. This endowment, to which Mrs. Newcomb added more than $2,000,000 during her life and in her has enabled the administrators of the uni versity to offer to women the advantages formerly given only to men. In 1891 Mrs. Ida G. Richardson presented the medical depart ment with a splendid modern building, equipped with every needed appliance for instruction in medicine. In the year 1894 the undergraduate departments were moved from the old con tracted quarters (on Dryades street, near Canal), to a splendid site on Saint Charles avenue, opposite to Audubon Park in the best residential section of the city, and in 1918 Newcomb College was removed to its new site, adjoining the Tulane campus. In 1900 Caroline S. Tilton gave to the university the present beautiful library building and in 1906 made an additional donation for the erection of the annex to the library. In 1902 Mr. C. Hutchinson -bequeathed the sum of $800,000 to the university for the benefit of the medical department. The Richardson Memorial, on Canal street, was transferred to the Hutchin son Fund, and the proceeds of this transfer used for the erection on the campus of the Richardson Memorial Building, the enlarge ment of the Chemistry Building, which was renamed the Richardson Memorial Chemistry Building, and the Richardson Memorial Dormi tory for medical students. In 1906 the New Or leans Polyclinic was acquired by the university, and is now the Graduate School of Medicine and in 1909 the New Orleans College of Dentistry became the School of Dentistry. In 1910 Mr. F. \V. Callender bequeathed the sum of $65,000 to the university, which sum was set apart as a foundation for the establishment of the F. \V. Callender Laboratory of Psychology and Education. In 1910 Mr. Stanley 0. Thomas bequeathed the sum of $60,000 for the erection of a building to be known as Stanley Thomas Hall. As presently constituted the university comprehends the following colleges and schools : College of Arts and Sciences, College of Technology, H. Sophie Newcomb Memorial College for Women, Faculty of Graduate Studies, College of Law, College of Medicine (including School of Medicine, Graduate School of Medicine, School of Dentistry and School of Pharmacy) and the College of Commerce and Business Administration.