TUSKEGEE NORMAL AND INDUS TRIAL INSTITUTE, a negro educational institution established by negroes in Tuskegee, Ala., for the education of students of their own race. The school was called into being by an act of Congress, and was opened in 1881 under the official name of Tuskegee State Normal School, and two years later this designation was changed to the present name. The growth of the institution was rapid and the attendance had reached near 2,000 in 1917. In this school have been trained many of the noted negro leaders of the country. Andrew Carnegie gave the college $600,000; and other gifts have raised the endowment fund to over $2,000,000 with the prospect of considerable ad ditional funds in the near future. Tuskegee Institute possesses over 100 buildings, close upon 20,000 acres of public lands and a library of over 20,000 volumes, together with extensive modern school equipments. The faculty and office staff number close upon 200 employed in the home work of the college and in ex tension teaching; and the work which they are called upon to do is extensive, varied and far-reaching, embracing as it does the studies of the common school, the industrial school and the Bible-training institute and theological seminary. Industrial training is one of the
great features of the school; but it is not suffi cient unto itself since industrial instruction always goes hand in hand with the other edu cational work of the institute. The school curriculum includes day and night sessions, the latter being intended for students too poor to pay their way through college. Considerable stress is placed upon the teaching of the me chanical industries, and this department of the college covers everything from electrical en gineering to shoemaking and the commoner frades of life. Attention is also paid to the industrial education of women in line with their lives. The extension work of the col lege, which is carried on through the Tuskegee Negro Conference, is largely directed to prac tical and industrial ends, in which agriculture receives special consideration. The name of Booker T. Washington (q.v.), its president until 1915, was as well known as the institute. Consult Washington, B. T., 'Up from Slavery' (1900) ; 'Working with the Hands' (1904) ; 'Tuskegee and its People' (1905).