Home >> Encyclopedia Americana, Volume 27 >> Twelfth Night to United States And Macedo >> Typographical Union

Typographical Union

local, time and international

TYPOGRAPHICAL UNION, Interna tional, a society of typesetters, compositors and linotypers banded together for mutual pro tection, for the regulation of wages, fixing the number of apprentices allowed to each estab lishment, the length of time each apprentice must serve in order to become a master work man, and for extending general aid to the members of such association. The international or supreme body is composed of delegates from subordinate unions in the United States and Canada. The management of the internal affairs of each union is left almost entirely to the subordinate divisions. Thus each local union may regulate the number of apprentices, the scale of wages for composition, time work, etc. Whenever a member of one local union comes within the jurisdiction of another local body, he at once is subject to the by-laws of the latter. Traveling cards are granted to mem bers, hut these cards must be deposited with the local union within the jurisdiction of which its holder proposes to remain for a given length of time, and dues must be paid into the local union with which the card is deposited.

It was founded in 1852 as the National Typo graphical Union, taking the name International in 1869. In 1882 there were 95 local organiza tions and a membership exceeding 10,000. In 1916 there were 754 local unions and 60,231 individual members. There are hundreds of local unions in the United States, that of New York being the largest, having a membership of several thousand followed by Chicago, Philadelphia, Boston, Saint Louis and other large cities of the country. The International Union meets once every year, at different places in the United States and Canada. The per manent headquarters are at Indianapolis, where a large school of instruction is maintained. A home for disabled printers and tuberculars is also maintained at Colorado Springs.