UNION THEOLOGICAL SEMINARY IN THE CITY OF NEW YORK, The. It was founded in 1836, under the auspices of the Presbyterian Church; the directors and pro fessors of the seminary give their assent to the Westminster standards of this Church, but students of all denominations are freely ad mittcd. The seminary offers the following courses: (1) A three-years' course leading to a diploma requiring the study of Greek and Hebrew; (2) a three-years' course leading to the degree of B.D., requiring more hours' work and a higher standing than the diploma course, special work in some department chosen by the student and including a thesis; (3) a four years' course requiring one year's graduate work and a thesis; (4) special and partial courses. For admission to the degree courses college graduation is required; for the diploma course college graduation or examination in Latin, Greek, philosophy, English and history. Part of the work in the regular courses is elective and some electives are provided for at Co lumbia and New York universities. The cur
riculum of the seminary includes courses in Old and New Testament philology and exegesis, biblical, systematic and practical the ology (including study of missions), apologetics, Christian ethics, church history and history of religion, voice culture and sacred music. Train ing in actual Christian work is provided in churches and chapels, public institutions and settlement work •, the Union Settlement is closely related, though not officially affiliated with the university. Seminary extension courses for lay workers were established in 1901. There are a number of undergraduate scholarships, graduate scholarships and two fellowships. The seminary buildings contain a chapel, lecture rooms, library, museum, reading-room, gymna sium, social-room, and dormitory-rooms. The library in 1919 contained 130,131 volumes, in cluding special collections in American and English history. The students in 1917 num bered 226, including the two Fellows and the graduates.