Home >> Encyclopedia Americana, Volume 27 >> Twelfth Night to United States And Macedo >> Union University

Union University

college, department and degree

UNION UNIVERSITY, formerly South western Baptist University, is located at Jack son, Tenn. The Baptists of Tennessee, realiz ing the necessity of an institution under their control, set about in 1845 for the establishment of such a school, especially for an educated ministry. It was located at Murfreesboro, un der the name of Union University; during the Civil War the building was damaged, the equipment destroyed and endowment rendered worthless; these difficulties were partly over come, and the University continued its work until 1873, when it was further crippled by an epidemic of cholera in Murfreesboro, and all exercises suspended. In 1875 a new charter was obtained and the name Southwestern Baptist University was adopted; since that time its prosperity has been continuous and the endow ment has largely increased. In September 1907 by action of the board of trustees, the uni versity resumed the original name, Union Uni versity. The organization of the university con sists of (1) the College Department; (2) the Department of Theology; (3) the Teachers' College; (4) the Business School; (5) the De partment of Oratory and Physical Develop ment; (6) the Department of Music, and (7) the University Academy. The College De

partment offers two courses, leading to the degrees of A.B., and B. S.; certain studies are required in each course, while others are elect ive. The degree of A.M., is conferred for post-graduate work. The courses of the The ological Department do not lead to a theologi cal degree, but are elective and receive some credit toward the degree of A.B., or B.S. The university is coeducational and the dormitory for young women was erected in 1897. In January 1912 the two main college buildings were destroyed by fire, but new buildings, in some respects very superior to the old ones, were erected. The library contains approxi mately 10000 volumes. The students number 300; the Teachers' College over 200 and the faculty, 20.