UNIVERSITY OF ALABAMA, the high est educational establishment of the State Alabama, and a part of the public school system maintained by the State. The university is ad ministered through the following organizations: The College of Arts and Sciences; School of Education; College of Engineering; School of School of Medicine (at Mobile), and Summer School for Teachers, with a staff of, in the neighborhood of 100 teachers and pro fessors. Some 14 buildings are grouped around a campus of 40 acres, in a tract of nearly 300 acres, adjacent to the city of Tuscaloosa. In addition to the regular university library, the institution contains a document room with some 15,000 documents and pamphlets, includ ing the publications of the Federal government; a law library, engineering library, museum library, and several department libraries. It also possesses the largest Museum of Natural History in the South. The students' interests and activities are represented by two, publica tions, The Crimson-White, a weekly journal, and The Corolla, an annual. The university con fers the master's degree in arts and sciences; the bachelor's degree in arts, education, science, science of education, civil engineering, electri cal engineering, mining engineering, chemical engineering and civil and highway engineering; • in law (LL.B.) and in medicine also gives the
degree of M.D.
The University of Alabama was created by an act of the Federal legislature of the United States in 1820, and to it were turned over Several sections of government lands; but it was not until two years later that the trustees of the projected institution met in Tuscaloosa. The work of construction of the buildings pro gressed slowly and it was not. until 1831 that the university was opened to students. The university buildings were burned during the Civil War , by United States cavalry (1865) ; but in 1869 they were partially replaced and the work of the institution resumed. In 1884 the Federal Congress granted to the university an additional 46,080 acres of land, in payment for the buildings lost during the war. In 1907 the State legislature of Alabama voted $400,000 to increase its equipment and sanctioned the federation of the Medical College of Alabama, at Mobile, with the State university.