Home >> Encyclopedia Americana, Volume 27 >> Units Of Measurement to Van Der Donck >> University of the South

University of the South

college, students, hall, sewanee and memorial

UNIVERSITY OF THE SOUTH, lo cated at Sewanee, Tenn. It was chartered in 1857 by the southern dioceses of the Protestant Episcopal Church; the site and endowment were obtained, and the central building begun, when the Civil War stopped further operations and rendered the endowment worthless. In 1867 more funds were obtained largely through the efforts of Bishop Quintard of Tennessee, and the Grammar School — Sewanee Military Acad emy since 1908—(secondary grade) and Aca demic Department — College of Arts and Sci ences — opened to students in 1868. The uni versity now includes the Sewanee Military Academy, the College of Arts and Sciences, the Theological Department organized in 1878, and a Training School for Nurses connected with the Hodgson-Emerald Hospital. The Medical Department established in 1892, the Law De partment established in 1893, and the School of Pharmacy established in 1904, were discontinued in 1909. The College of Arts and Sciences of fers studies leading to the degree of B.A., and a course in civil engineering. The degree of M.A. is conferred for graduate work. In the Theological Department the degree of B.D. is conferred on all who complete the regular three years' course (including Greek and Hebrew) who have held a Bachelor's degree for at least one year from some approved college or uni versity and have presented a satisfactory thesis on a subject approved by the faculty. The course in the Training School for Nurses is three years in length. Seven scholarships are available for students in the Theological De partment, and about 25 for students in the College of Arts and Sciences. A unit of the

Students' Army Training Corps was established in the college in 1918. Full provision is made for physical training, and there is a general. interest in athletic sports which are under the direction of the Athletic Board of Control. Seven Greek letter fraternities are represented at the university, and the students also main tain two literary societies, writing, debating and musical clubs, a dramatic club, and The Sewanee Union, a social club for students, officers, mem bers of the faculties, alumni and residents of the town of Sewanee. The university owns a domain of 8,000 acres in the midst of the beau tiful scenery of the Cumberland Plateau; a reservation of 1,000 acres surrounds the cen tral buildings, from which building lots are leased for long terms. The chief buildings are Saint Luke's Memorial Hall (Theological De partment), Saint Luke's Memorial Chapel, Walsh Memorial Hall, the library with a tower modeled upon that of Magdalen College Chapel, Oxford, in which are a clock and peal of bells, Thompson Hall, Hodgson-Emerald Hospital, Hoffman Memorial Hall (dormitory), Quintard Memorial Hall (Sewanee Military Academy), All Saints Chapel, the Carnegie Science Hall and the gymnasium (partly completed). The library in 1918 contained 38,000 volumes; the students in all departments numbered 405, and the faculty 35.