UTAH, University of, the State univer sity is located at Salt Lake City. It was incor porated as the University of the State of Des eret in 1850 and opened to students in that year. But as it failed to secure patronage or adequate financial support, it was closed after one session until 1867. The governing board of regents, however, maintained their organiza tion during this time and had general supervi sion of the public school system. When first reopened in 1867 it was largely a commercial college, but in 1869 was reorganized with nor mal and classical departments. In 1894 a new charter was obtained, the name was changed to University of Utah and a 60-acre tract of land on the Fort Douglas reservation was granted to the university by the Federal government. In the same year the Salt Lake Literary and Scientific Association gave $60,000 for the en dowment of a chair of geology. In 1899 the legislature ptovided for the erection of new buildings and the removal of the university to the new site, which was first occupied in 1900. Subsequent to this the government granted the university land so that its campus was en larged to 90 acres. The board of regents con sists of the president of the university and the secretary of State, members a officio, and 12 members appointed by the governor for four years. The university is open to both sexes on equal terms. The organization includes the school of arts and sciences, the school of edu cation, school of mines and engineering, school of medicine, school of law, school of commerce and finance, the extension division, the graduate division, and in connection with the school of education the university high school, elemen tary training school and kindergarten. The schools of arts and sciences, education, com merce and finance offer courses leading to the degrees of B.A. and B.S. The graduate
division offers courses leading to the M.A. and M.S. The school of medicine offers at the present time the degree of B.S., in medicine, which is granted after the student has com pleted two years of premedical work and two years of professional work. The premedical and junior courses leading to a degree in den tistry as well as a four-year course leading to the B.S., in pharmacy are also offered. The school of law offers courses leading to the LL.B. The school of mines and engineering offers courses in mining and engineering lead ing to a degree of B.S. The senior college of the school of education grants the teachers' high school diploma and the junior college elementary and kindergarten diplomas, which are all legal licenses to teach in the public schools of the State. Scholarships and fellow ships are offered to graduate students in metal lurgy and chemistry in the school of mines and engineering. The university calendar is based upon the quarter system, which permits of a summer quarter of 12 weeks, which is largely attended by students from other States on account of Salt Lake's ideal climate. The campus is situated at the base of the Wasatch Mountains, overlooking the valley of Great Salt Lake and Salt Lake City. In 1919 there are 19 buildings on the campus. The valua tion of the physical plant of the university is estimated at $1,208,000. The library of the university is the largest in the State of Utah and contains 53,819 bound volumes and 20,728 pamphlets. The principal bequest received dur ing the year 1918 was $50,000 for the benefit of the school of mines and engineering from the estate of James MacGregor, Terre Haute, Ind. The total students in the year 1917-18 was 3,732. The faculty numbers 147.