VALENCIA, vii-len'shi-a (Sp. Spain, capital of a province of the same name, on the south bank of the Turia or Guadalaviar, on the eastern coast, 185 miles east by south of Madrid. The city walls were removed in 1871, and their site transformed into broad boule vards, but two old gates have been left in position. Several bridges across the river lead to northern suburbs. The chief square is the Plaza del Mercado, or market-place, on the north side of which is the Lonja de la Seda, or silk exchange, a beautiful Gothic building of the 15th century, restored in 1892-95. The ether noteworthy buildings and institutions of the city are: The cathedral (La Seo), com pleted in 1482, with an octagonal Gothic bell tower called El Miguelete; the Colegio del Patriarca, an ecclesiastical building in Renais sance style (1586-1605), containing a church of Corpus Christi, pictures, frescoes, tapestry, etc.; the church of San Nicolas, with fine paintings by Juanes; the university, founded in 1441, with a valuable library; the Audiencia, formerly the chamber of deputies of the kingdom of Va a 16th-century Renaissance edifice; the provincial picture gallery, strong in the Valen cian school; the citadel, built by Charles V, now in rgins; the provincial and the military hospi tal ythe penitentiary; the archiepiscopal palace, The fine botanical garden, the bull-ring seating about 17,000, a theatre, and some other buildings are situated outside of the boulevard liner and on the north side of the river is the chatrning Alameda, lined with plane-trees. El
Gran, the harbor, is at the mouth of the Turia, on the north side, and beside it are sea-bathing resorts. Valencia has manufactures of silk, cigars, paper, nil, chocolate, soap, hemp and lines weaving, velvet, hat, felt, plush, fans, gloves, hardware, leather goods, pottery, glazed brick works, etc., and a considerable and in creasing trade in wine, oranges, rice, oil, silks, etc. Valencia figured in Roman history and was destroyed by Pompey in 75 ac. It was long the capital of a kingdom of Valencia, which came to an end in 1319. In 1812-13 it was occupied by the French under Suchet. Pop. 233,348; of province, 911,429. The area of the province is 4,150 square miles.