Home >> Encyclopedia Americana, Volume 27 >> Units Of Measurement to Van Der Donck >> Valladolid

Valladolid

century, san and building

VALLADOLID, Spain, (1) Capital of the modern province of the same name, a garrison town, and archiepiscopal see, on the left bank of the Pisuerga, a tributary of the Douro, at the confluence of the Esgueva (largely covered in) from the east, and the Canal of Castile from the north, 100 miles northwest of Madrid. It is situated in a spacious, fertile plain and has fine streets and squares. The Plaza Mayor or de la Constitucion is the centre of the city's life. The cathedral, begun in late Renaissance style in 1585, is still unfinished; the most in teresting church is that of Santa Maria la Antigua, dating from the 12th century. Close to these two edifices stands the university, a 17th century building, with a library. Other noteworthy buildings and institutions are the Colegio de Santa Cruz, a splendid plateresque building of the 15th century, containing a mu seum and some modern paintings; the Colegio de San Gregorio, a 15th century building now devoted to municipal purposes, with a splendid Gothic facade; the 13th century church of San Pablo, with an ornamental Gothic facade; the royal palace, dating from the 17th century; the Convent of San Benito, now used as a bar rack; two 'theatres; a bull-ring; general hos pital, etc. The Campo Grande is the finest park

of the city. The industries include iron-found ing and manufactures of cloth, silks, paper, gold and silver wares, chemicals and leather. Valladolid was the capital of Spain before Madrid. It is the birthplace of Philip II and contains the house in which Columbus died. One of the foreign institutions for the training of Scottish Roman Catholic priests was for merly situated here. Pop. (1910) 71,066. (2) The province has an area of 2,922 square miles i and is an agricultural region. It was formerly noted for its weaving and tanneries, but all industry has declined of late. Pop. about 300,000. See CASTILE.