Home >> Encyclopedia Americana, Volume 27 >> Units Of Measurement to Van Der Donck >> Valley Forge

Valley Forge

washington and army

VALLEY FORGE, Pa., village in Chester County, on the Schuylkill River, and on the Philadelphia and Reading Railroad, 24 miles west of Philadelphia. Valley Forge is noted as the place where Washington and his army of about 11,000 men went into winter quarters, 17 Dec. 1777, after the occupancy of Philadelphia by the British. The army suffered cold and hunger on account of the poverty of the coun try, but perhaps more from the incompetency of the commissary department. Despite the conse quent illness of many of the men, Baron Steu ben, who had been made inspector-general of the army, drilled and trained the soldiers and reorganized the army. Washington was at Valley Forge when he received the news of the consummation of the alliance with France. Washington abandoned the camp 18 June 1778, and again took possession of Philadelphia. In 1893 the Pennsylvania legislature took steps to acquire and preserve Valley Forge as a public park and historic landmark. On 19 Oct. 1901,

a monument was here unveiled by the Daughters of the Revolution in memory of the soldiers who died in camp during the winter of 1777-78. The entire field at Valley Forge is practically the same to-day as it was when evacuated by Washington in 1778. The trenches thrown up by the Continentals° may still be seen. The old stone house which Washington used for his headquarters is standing and is in a good state of preservation. In 1903 the matter of making Valley Forge a State nark was again taken up by the legislature of Pennsylvania, and the sum of $74,500 was appropriated for the purpose. To the 210 acres already owned by the State 800 acres were added.