VASSAR COLLEGE, Poughkeepsie, N. Y., a 'college for women founded in 1861 by Matthew Vassar. His original.gift to the college was 200 acres of land and $428,000; this was increased by his bequest of $360,000. It was incorporated as Vassar Female College in 1861, the present corporate name being adopted in 1867. The original endowment has been increased by other members of the Vassar family and later by gifts from friends of the college in various parts of the United States, until the endowment on 1 July 1918, including fellowships and scholarships, amounted to $2, 707,075.07, with 800 acres in campus and farm. Student enrolment is limited to 1,000, who may be housed on the campus; but the pressure for admittance and the difficulty of estimating withdrawals make it impossible to maintain this limit with exactness and the enrolment for 1917-18 numbered 1,125. Students are ad mitted on passing the examinations set by the college entrance examination board, or by an examination covering three years of prepara'. don in four selected subjects; this latter method takes the place of entrance by certificate from approved schools. The course of study, which is partly elective, covers four years and leads to the A.B. degree. The degree of M.A. is also conferred in course. Five fellowships for grad uate work are offered and a large number of undergraduate scholarships. The funds avail able for student aid in one form or another amounted in 1918 to $434,955.59. The affairs of the college are administered by a board of 27 trustees, a president, a treasurer and a fac ulty composed in 1918 of 140 members. The physical equipment of the college, exclusive of faculty residences, includes 27 buildings, seven of them dormitories, which are also residence halls; a farm of 675 acres, maintaining vegetable gardens and a model dairy, operated for the benefit of the college dining-rooms; an open air theatre, athletic grounds, flower gardens and conservatories, lakes and woodland. Among the more notable buildings are the Main Build ing, one of the three edifices that constituted the college in 1865, containing administrative offices and accommodations for about 400 stu dents and officers; the College Chapel, a stone building in Norman style, with a seating capac ity of 1,400, containing a set of chimes and stained glass windows by John LaFarge, the Tiffany studios and the Dodge studio; the Frederick Ferris Thompson Memorial Library, of stone, in perpendicular Gothic style, pro viding space for 160,000 books and about 600 readers and containing, in 1918, 100,000 cata logued books and pamphlets; Rockefeller Hall, a modern structure for recitations and lectures, at the end of the dormitory quad rangle; a Museum building containing excel lent collections of minerals and fossils and nearly 3,000 mounted birds, as well as many other collections; Taylor Hall, containing the valuable art collections of the college and art lecture halls and studios; the Swift Memorial Infirmary, containing a modern hospital equip ment; Metcalf House, a health cottage adapted for convalescents and rest cases; the Students' Building, providing for the needs of the Stu dents' Association and other college organiza tions, with a large auditorium, seating 1,500, equipped with a modern stage and scenery; and the Good Fellowship Club House, erected by the Students' Association for the maids em ployed in the college and devoted to social wel fare work. Student self-government is in ef
fective operation, the students themselves as suming responsibility for most of the regu lations governing conduct and for the manage ment of such property as the Students' Build ing and the Good Fellowship Club House and for all extra-curriculum activities, including the providing of various money-making occupations for self-supporting students. The facts that the price for rooms and board is the same for every student, the rooms being selected by lot, that there are no sororities or other clubs to which membership is not absolutely open and that no admission fee may be charged to any campus meeting, all help to maintain the fine democratic spirit that prevails. The college is distinctly Christian, but undenominational in its management. Services on Sunday are con ducted by visiting clergymen of various churches and evening prayer is held in the chapel daily. The social life of the student body is under the direction of a department of wardens; one warden resides in each house and has charge of its social interests. This department directs also an occupation bureau for the aid of students and for alumnae desiring to register for positions. The health and physi cal training of the students are made a chief object of attention and are under the direction of a resident physician and two assistant physi cians, who also control the sanitary regulations of the college.