CONSTANCE, Lake (anciently LAcus BRIGANTINUS ; German Boden See), in central Europe, forming a common centre, in which Switzerland and the territories of Baden, Win- temberg, Bavaria and Austria meet. Length, northwest to southeast, 40 miles; greatest breadth, about 10% miles; area, 204 square miles; greatest depth, 827 feet; 1,309 feet above sea-level. At its northwest extremity the lake divides into two branches or arms, each about 14 miles in length; the north arm is called the Cberlingen Lake after the town of Uber lingen, on its north bank; the south branch the Zellersee or Untersee. The Rhine enters the lake at Rheineck, at its southeast extremity, and leaves it at Stein, at its northwest termination The lake, the waters of which are of a dark green hue and very clear, are subject to sudden risings, the causes of which are unknown. In 1770 it rose in one hour from 20 to 24 feet above the ordinary level. It freezes in severe winters
only. It is frequented by numerous aquatic birds, and contains a great variety and abun dance of fish, including salmon, salmon-trout, pike and carp. The traffic on it is considerable, although its navigation by sailing vessels is rendered dangerous by sudden and violent squalls. There are numerous remains of lake dwellings on its shores. Steamers ply on the lake between Constance and various points on its shores. The principal towns are Constance, Bregenz, Friedrichshafen, Lindau and Rors chach. The land near is either flat or gently undulating, and fertile, and is covered with corn-fields, orchards and gardens, interspersed with ruined castles, and other remains of the Middle Ages, and with numerous towns and villages, producing altogether a very pleasing and striking effect.