Home >> Encyclopedia Americana, Volume 8 >> County to Crome >> Covington

Covington

city, cincinnati, gothic and miles

COVINGTON, Ky., city and county-seat of Kenton County, on the Ohio River opposite Cincinnati, with which it is connected by a handsome suspension bridge, 2,250 feet long, and costing $2,000,000. It is the northern ter minus of the Kentucky Central Railroad and is also on the Louisville, Cincinnati and Lexington Railroad. It is a residence town for Cincinnati business men and is the see of a Roman Catho lic bishop. Covington occupies an area of about square miles on a beautiful plain partly surrounded by hills and resembles Cin cinnati in its general arrangement. The city has many fine residences, a public library, city hall, race track, and a Federal building note worthy as a specimen of modern Gothic, and among charitable institutions, a hospital for contagious diseases, Catholic and Protestant orphan asylums and a home for aged women. Covington is an important centre of Ro man Catholic influence, the cathedral, a type of flamboyant Gothic, being one of the finest ecclesiastical structures in the State. Connected with this denomination there are also a Bene dictine priory, a convent, a hospital, foundling asylum, Notre Dame Academy and La Sallette Academy. The facilities for transportation, both by rail and water, placing the city in com munication with a wide territory possessing valuable natural advantages, have contributed to the city's commercial importance. Its in

dustrial interests are also important and include extensive pork-packing establishments, distill eries, breweries, cotton factory, ironworks and manufactures of vinegar, furniture, stoves, un ware, bricks, tile, pottery, rope, contractors' ma chinery, metal signs, automobile trucks, X-ray machines, circus tents, pianos, cordage, etc. The United States census of manufactures for 1914 reported in the city 161 industrial establishments of factory grade, employing 3,736 persons, of whom 3,199 were wage earners, receiving an nually a total of $1,815,000 in wages. The capital invested aggregated $7,778,000, and the year's output was valued at $8,205,000: of this, $5,475,000 was the value added by manufacture. Covington has adopted the commission form of government. There are municipal waterworks, built in 1887, furnishing an abundant supply of water drawn from the Ohio River at a distance of about 13 miles above the city. Its annual budget approximates $660,000, the main items of expense being $108,000 for schools, $111,000 for interest on debt, $47,000 for police depart ment, $35,000 for fire department,$55,000 for street expenditures and $15,000 for public library fund. Settled in 1812 and laid out three years later, Covington was chartered as a city in 1834. Pop. 56,000.