Home >> Encyclopedia Americana, Volume 8 >> Cromer to Curves Of Double Curvature >> Crown Point

Crown Point

fort, lake and french

CROWN POINT, a town in Essex County, N. Y., on the west shore of Lake Champlain, on the Barge Canal and on the Delaware and Hudson Railroad, 110 miles northeast cf Albany. It has a large park, a library and chapel and a memorial lighthouse erected' to Samuel de Champlain. The town manufactures building materials, sashes and doors and has mills, grain elevators and a creamery. Crown Point was first visited by Champlain, who fought and defeated the Iroquois there. In 1714 it became an important English trading station. This place, because of its location near a narrowing of the lake, was called Pointe a la Chevelure (Scalp Point) by the French, Crown Point by the English. In 1726 the French es tablished a post opposite, on the east side of the lake; they withdrew in fear of Massachu setts. In 1631, the governor of Canada built a fort there, which they called Fort Frederic. In 1755 at the opening of the final contest, an expedition against Fort Frederic was planned by Governor Shirley of Massachusetts, and led forward by Sir William Johnson; but it got no farther than Fort Edward, and ended in the bloody drawn battle of Lake George (q.v.). In 1756 the French built Ticonderoga

farther down, on the isthmus between Lake Champlain and Lake George; this left Crown Point a second instead of first line of defense, but the two were the chief French frontier posts through the war. In 1756 an expedition from Albany against them was undertaken, but came to nothing; in 1757 Maj. Robert Rogers' rangers attacked them, in numerous raiding parties. In 1759 they were captured by Amherst, Crown Point being abandoned as soon as Ticon deroga was taken. Both posts were kept up by the British, and at the outbreak of the Revo lutionary War were the first thought of the colonists, to open the route to Canada and seize the stores they contained. On 10 May, while Arnold and Ethan Allen took Ticonderoga, Seth Warner captured Crown Point, with over 200 cannon and a quantity of ammunition. The present village of Crown Point is several miles below the point and the old fort. The grounds containing the ruins of Fort Frederic and Crown Point were presented to New York State for a public park in 1910.