Home >> Encyclopedia Americana, Volume 8 >> Cromer to Curves Of Double Curvature >> Cura

Cura

miles, curacao and dutch

CURA, koo'ra, also CIUDAD DE CURA, Venezuela, city situated 56 miles west of Caracas and a short distance from Lake Valencia, in the old state of Miranda (now separated into the states of Rivas, Guarico and Miranda). It was founded in 1730 by Juan Bolivar y Villegas. The site of Cura is 1,600 feet above sea-level at the foot of a steep hill; an extensive valley, watered by two streams, outspreads before it. A record of its temperature shows as the maxi mum 87° F.; minimum 72° ; mean annual 79° F. Owing to its proximity to the llanos of the Guarico and the surrounding agricultural and grazing districts, with their plantations of sugarcane, coffee, cacao, cotton, indigo, etc, as well as herds of cattle, Cura is a thriving little place. It suffered considerably in the War of Independence. In 1900 it was visited by a destructive earthquake. Pop. about 12,000.

CURAgA0, koo-ra-sa'6 or lcu'ra-so, Dutch West Indies, an island in the Caribbean Sea, 46 miles north of the coast of Venezuela, be tween lat. 12° 3' and 12° 24' N., and long. 47' and 60° 16' W., stretching northwest to southeast, 36 miles long and 8 miles broad; capital Wilhehnstad. Its surface is generally fiat, except for the hills in the southwest, whose highest elevation is 1,200 feet. Streams are

few and the rainfall light. The chief minerals are iron and copper (but the mines are not de veloped), and salt. The cocoa-palm, banana and three varieties of the orange— from one of which varieties the far-famed Curacao liqueur is made — grow abundantly. Sugar, tobacco and corn are raised. Curacao was settled by the Spaniards early in the 16th century; it was taken in 1632 by the Dutch; and was captured by the British in 1798, but restored at the Peace of Amiens. It was taken again by the British in 1806, and finally ceded to Holland at the general peace in 1814. The island of Curacao, together with the adjacent Dutch islands of Bonaire, Aruba, a part of Saint Martin, Saint Eustatius and Saba form a separate colony (area, 436 square miles) officially called Curacao, administered by a governor, assisted by a council of four members and a colonial council of eight members. The members are nominated by the sovereign. Pop. colony, 54, 469; of the island of Curacao 32,585.