Home >> Encyclopedia Americana, Volume 8 >> Curzon to Danbury >> Dalhousie College and Uni

Dalhousie College and Uni Versity

university, science, institution, funds, halifax, courses and governors

DALHOUSIE COLLEGE AND UNI VERSITY, an institution of learning located at Halifax, N. S. It was founded in 1818 by the Rt. Hon. George Ramsay (q.v.), 9th earl of Dalhousie, whose last public act in Nova Scotia was the laying of the cornerstone of the old building, 22 May 1820, but it was not until 13 Jan. 1821 that the "bill to incorporate the Governors of Dalhousie College at Halifax' became a law. The purpose of the college as originally stated was "for the education of youth in the higher brandies of science and literature,' and "to be open to all occupations and sects of religion." It was to be modeled after Edinburgh University. The first name of Dalhousie was the 'College of Halifax,* but in 1821 the legislature granted 11,000 to the new college and named it after its founder. The original endowment, about f10,000 ($50,000), was derived from funds collected at the port of Castine, Me., during its occupation' in 1814 by Sir John Sherbrooke, then lieutenant-gov ernor of Nova Scotia. In 1841 university powers were granted to the college. The early history of Dalhousie is a brave struggle for existence. Two attempts were made to unite it with King's College (q.v.), but both proved failures. It did not open its doors until 1838, and closed them again in 1843. From 1844 to 1863 Dalhousie ceased to operate as a college, and the governors either allowed the funds to accumulate or managed it as a high school. In 1863 the college was reorganized, with a staff of six professors, a tutor in modern languages and about 60 students. The governing bodies of the institution are (1) the board of gov ernors, the supreme governing body; appoint ments to it are made by the governor-in-council on the nomination of the board. The governors have the management of the funds and the property of the college; the power of appoint ing the president, professors and other officials, and of determining their duties and salaries, and the general oversight of the work of the university. (2) The senate, consisting of the presidents and professors. To this body are entrusted, by statute, the internal regulations of the university, subject to the approval of the governors. All degrees are conferred by the senate. (3) The faculties of arts and science, law, medicine and dentistry. These are commit tees of the senate for the supervision of the teaching of the university, the preparation of regulations governing the courses of study and the recommendation of suitable candidates for prizes, scholarship, diplomas and degrees. In

addition to the courses in the liberal arts and in pure science and engineering, the university has schools of Law, Medicine and Dentistry. In affiliation with the Halifax Conservatory of Music it gives courses for the diploma of Licentiate of Music and the degree of Bachelor of Music. In affiliation with the Nova Scotia College of Pharmacy it gives courses leading to the degree of Bachelor of Pharmacy. The university is well equipped for its work and is constantly enlarging its sphere of usefulness. It has a large student body and admits students of either sex. The first site of the college was on the Grand Parade. In 1887 the college was removed to Carleton street, where the professional schools still are. In 1915 the Arts and Science departments were removed to the Studley estate, a beautiful site of 42 acres on the outskirts of the city, near the North West Arm. This was made possible by the results of a canvass for funds for building and endowment in 1912 which brought in $400,000. The buildings already erected on the new site are the Science Building, the cornerstone of which was laid by H. R. H. the Duke of Connaught, governor-general of Canada, and the Macdonald Memorial Library, the style of architecture chosen being 18th century Georgian. Many generous gifts have been made to Dal housie, notably those of the late George Munro of New York, from 1879 to 1884, amounting to about $350,000, which did much to put the institution on a solid financial basis. Alexander McLeod, Sir William Young, John P. Mott, Dr. D. A. Campbell, Joseph Matheson and John Macnab have also made large gifts. Dalhousie University was put on the first list of the Accepted Institutions of the Carnegie Founda tion. It is the chief institution of learning in eastern Canada, and draws students not only from all over the Dominion hut also from Newfoundland and the West Indies. It is noted for the number of its graduates who have attained eminence in educational and professional life. It is non-sectarian, and is supported en tirely by its endowment.