DALLAS, Tex., city, county-seat Dallas County, 270 miles north of the Gulf of Mexico on the Trinity River, navigable to that point, and on nine steam and five electric interurban railroads. The steam railroads are the Missouri, Kansas and Texas Railway; Missouri, Okla homa and Gulf Railway; Houston, Texas Cen tral Railway; Texas and Pacific Railway; Texas and New Orleans Railway; Gulf, Colorado and Santa F6 Railway; St Louis and San Fran cisco Railway, and the St. Louis Southwestern Railway. The interurban railway lines are the Texas 'Traction Company to Demson, north 77 miles; Southern Traction Company to Waco, south 97 miles, and to Corsicana, southeast 56 miles; Northern Texas Traction Company to Ft. Worth, west 30 miles, and to Cleburne, southwest 67 miles. Dallas has a new union (steam) terminal station, opened to the public in 1916, representing an investment in building and grounds of over $6,500,000; and a new electric interurban station representing an in vestment in building and grounds amounting to $1,600,000.
Commerce, Industries.—Dallas is the centre of the famous black lands of the Southwest, the principal products of which are cotton, corn, wheat, oats, truck and fruit. As the largest inland cotton market in the world the Dallas Cotton Exchange handles 1,500,000 bales of cotton in a normal year. The 1914 census gave the number of factories as 412, capital invested $23,488,000, with a total output of $42,559,789. Dallas leads in the manufacture of cotton gin ning machinery and in saddlery and harness. Other important industries are flour mills, port land cement plants, oil refinery, iron and metal works, brewery, packing houses, cotton seed oil mills, cotton compresses, grain elevators, etc. The largest wholesale jobbing and distributing centre of the Southwest, with 570 jobbers manufacturers, that in a normal year do $262, 000,000 business, Dallas is the distributing centre for automobiles of the Southwest, with large factories having assembling plants here, and in the sale and distribution of agricultural im plements .is second only to Kansas City. Dallas ranks 28th in postal receipts in the United States, is seventh in express business, sixth in tele graph business. It is the Southwestern head quarters for all classes of insurance business and is the home of the 1 lth District of the Federal Reserve Banking System, with 686 banks, whose capital and surplus amount to $49,972,500. There are 10 banks in the city
of Dallas, whose resources on 1 Jan. 1918 amounted to $96,662,549, with deposits amount ing to $80,143,274. The State Fair of Texas is the most successful institution of its kind in the world. It is unique in its organization, never having received State or Federal aid. All of its receipts are devoted to paying the expente of the annual fair and to making improvements upon its 162 acres of ground, which is the property of the city, being turned over to the city for park purposes with the exception of one month in the year during the annual fair. The plant was worth (1918) $2,200,000. As high as 1,001,400 admissions have been recorded during the two weeks of the fair. The permanent buildings are built of reinforced concrete and are The Coliseum, 150x200 ft, seating capacity 5,000; Textile and Fine Arts Building, 125x125 ft.; Exposition Building, 280x375 ft.; Ladies' Rest Cottage; Live Stock Pavilion, 124x192 ft.— cattle and swine barns are of reinforced concrete steel, with steel pens for the swine; Vehicle and Implement Building, 200x 550; Grand Stand, 60x300; Automobile Build ing, 148x296. There are 19 individual and per manent exhibit buildings owned and erected by exhibitors.
Public Buildings, Etc.— Dallas is the con vention city of the Southwest, with ample hotel facilities, unsurpassed by any city of its size; the Adolphus Hotel, the latest addition, 23 stories high, costing $1,600,000, with an addi tion or annex costing $1,000,000; and adequate convention halls. Notable among public build ings are the city hall, courthouse, public li brary, the cathedrals of the Sacred Heart and of Saint Matthew's, the city hospitals and Saint Paul's and the Baptist Memorial sani taria. One of the longest concrete via ducts in the world connects the city proper with Oak Cliff, a residential section of the city on the west side; this was built at a cost of $657,466. Much activity has been displayed in recent years in street paving and the develop ment of a comprehensive sstem of boulevards, under a city plan. On 1 1918 Dallas had 160 miles of paved streets, with 325 miles of cement sidewalks. The parks of the city, taste fully laid out, now cover 400 acres, and with public playgrounds are being developed to cover eventually 3,500 acres easily accessible.