Home >> Encyclopedia Americana, Volume 8 >> Curzon to Danbury >> Danbury


city, town, hats, york and miles

DANBURY, Conn., city in Fairfield County in the southwestern part of the State. This is one of two county-seats. It has railroads to New York, New Haven, Bridgeport, Hartford, Pittsfield, Poughkeepsie and Litchfield. These are all branches of the New York, New Haven and Hartford road. A right of way has been secured for extending the Westchester and Northern Railroad from White Plains to Dan bury by way of Ridgefield. An electric railway connects Danbury with Bethel. Electric roads connect this city with Bridgeport and Golden's Bridge. Danbury is 62 miles northeast of New York and 63 miles west of Hartford. It is the centre of a picturesque mountainous country. The town is noted for its beautiful drives and healthful climate. Lake Kenosia, a small pleasure i resort surrounded by summer resi dences, s about two miles west of the city. Danbury has public waterworks capable of sup plying a city of 50,000 and was one of the first towns to establish a modern filtration system of sewage disposal. The place was settled in 1684 by families from Norwalk and was called Pahquioque, the Indian name, until 1702 when the general assembly granted a patent for a town under the name now used. In 1855 the southern part of the town was separated and incorporated under the name of Bethel A city charter was obtained in 1880. Danbury is one of the leading felt hat manufacturing cities of the United States, making 75 per cent of the stiff hats, besides soft hats and hats in the rough. Thirty-four factories are engaged in this industry, which began in 1780, five in the preparation of fur for hats, two mills producing silk used in their manufacture, three making hat cases. There are foundries and machine shops, a paper mill, two silver plating companies, two electric supply firms, a lime kiln, under wear and silk factories, medical printing company, two savings banks, two national banks, 10 churches, a library, State normal school, high school, graded public and private schools.

The United States census of manufactures for 1914 recorded for Danbury 124 indus trial establishments of factory grade, em ploying 5,933 persons; of whom 5,290 were wage earners, receiving annually $2,963,000 in wages. The capital invested aggregated $7,689,000, and the year's output was valued at $10,582,000: of this, $4,781,000 was the value added by manufacture. The Danbury News with daily and weekly editions was established in 1870 by James Montgomery Bailey, known as the tDanbury News Man. He was the author of humorous articles and several books including a history of Dan bury. Julius H. Seelye, former president of Amherst College, and P. T. Barnum, the show man, were born in that part of Danbury that is now the town of Bethel. The town was de stroyed by the British in 1777, when General Wooster was killed defending the place. Woos ter Square and Wooster Cemetery were named in his honor. Among the public buildings are the courthouse, city hall, hospital, almshouse, new post-office and new armory. The agricul tural fair held here every year has an average attendance of about 60,000. The famous Dan bury Hatters' Case in which the Supreme Court of the United States held that labor unions came' under the Sherman Act originated in this city. Pop. 22,000. Consult Bailey, 'History of Danbury (New York 1896).