DAVID, Pierre Jean, French sculptor: b. Angers, 12 March 1789; d. Paris, 5 Jan. 1856. He is commonly called DAVID D'ANGERS. Against his father's wishes he came to Paris in 1808, and for a time had a hard struggle with poverty. In 1810 he entered the atelier of Rolland and was at the same time the pupil of J. L. David (q.v.). His bas-relief of Epaminondas having gained the first prize for sculpture in 1811, he was enabled to go to Rome to perfect himself in his art. In Rome he came under the influence of Canova. On his return to Paris he laid the foundation of his fame by a colossal statue of the great Conde in marble. In August 1826 he was nominated a member of the Academy of Fine Arts, and in December of the same year professor in the School of Painting and Sculp ture. He executed busts of Goethe for Weimar, of Schelling for Munich, of Tieck for Dresden, of Rauch and Humboldt. In 1830 he fought in the ranks of the Republicans and soon after received the commission for his masterpiece— the sculptures of the Pantheon. In 1831 he be
gan the magnificent sculptures of the Pantheon,, his most important work, which he finished in 1837. He took part also in the revolution of 1848 and became a Member of the Constituent Assembly. He went into exile after the coup d'etat of Napoleon III and spent some time in Greece, whence he returned, broken in health, soon after. He executed a great number of medallions, busts and statues of celebrated per sons of all countries, among whom may be named Walter Scott, Canning, Washington, Lafayette, Guttenberg, Cuvier, Victor Hugo, Beranger, Paganini and Madame de Stael. David worked with great rapidity and ease, and his chief strength consisted in his facility of invention and execution, especially in large works. In works of smaller size his drawing and modeling are seen to be deficient in fineness and accuracy. Consult Brownell, 'History of French (New York 1892) and Gonse, Sculpture francaise depuis le XIV (Paris 1895).