DAYTON, Ohio, city and county-seat of County, at the confluence of the Great Miami, Mad, and Stillwater rivers and Wolf creek. It is on the Erie, the Big Four and the Pittsburgh, Cincinnati, Chicago and Saint Louis and the Baltimore and Ohio rail roads, 67 miles southwest of Columbus and 60 miles north of Cincinnati. There are entering the city daily. The union station was opened to the public m July 1900, and cost in cluding tracks $900,000. The city has an area of 17 square miles.
Manufacturing Interests.—While Dayton's manufacturing industries are widely diversified and include the manufacture of cash registers, railroad cars, water-wheels, agricultural imple ments, sewing machines, foundry work, etc., these are conducted on• so large a scale that many employ from 500 to 2,500 hands. According' to the United States census of the average aurnber of wage-earners in the city was 16,869; the total wages paid was $7,959,792 and the value of the productions was $35,697,695. Great progress was made since 1900 and careful estimates show that in 1918 average of wage-earners had increased to 38,500 with a total wages paid of $20,000,000 and the value of the products $180,000,000.
In 1918 there were 130 factories engaged in making supplies and ammtmition for the States goVernment. The city's industrial pres tige lies largely in the manufacture of airplanes,. automobile starting, lighting and ignition sys tems, cash registers, recording devices, electric lighting systems for homes and farms, cigars, toys and paper box goods.
Street Railways.— Seven interurban electric roads radiate from Dayton forming' an im portant network in the traffic of the Central States. There are 10 local car lines with total mileage of 85.
Dayton is the largest city in the United States operating under the com mission-manager form of government, the new city charter having become operative 1 Jan. 1914. Five commissioners are elected by the people and the commissioners choose a city manager. The manager and commissioners are subject to recall and the initiative and ref erendum is incorporated in the charter. The
municipal government is divided into several divisions, as follows: Strvice, which oversees all matters pertaining to streets and alleys; street repairs, city asphalt plant, garbage and ash removal, the operation of the municipal garbage reduction plant, boulevards and road ways, etc. The Safety Department supervises management of the fire and police department. The Finance Department is concerned with the receiving and disbursing of public moneys, city purchasing agent and all license fees. The Law Department protects the city's legal interests, drafts ordinances, etc. The Welfare Department oversees all municipal recreational 'facilities, parks and playgrounds, public health and sani tation, public nursing, etc. Since the opera tion of the commission-manager form of gov ernment, the city has centralized all public health nursing, erected a leprosorium, garbage reduc tion plant, which sells grease, established numerous medical clinics and baby feeding sta tions and a Crime prevention bureau. The city has acquired the largest country club, munici pally owned, in the world, a tract of 294 acres donated by John H. Patterson. A policewomen's bureau is also maintained. In safeguarding health and social conditions, the municipality works•n intimate relations with all local social service agencies. Free legal aid is the poor. Each department is presided over by a director commanding a salary of $4.000 a year and •each: department is subdivided 'into' divisions and bureaus for specific service. The city manager receives $7,500, the ccentnissionera $1,200 each and the, mayor, who is the commis-: sioner receiving the highest vote cast in the. election, $1500 The municipal revenues fot 1917 were '1,310,51021 and the expenses were $1,354,610.6 , making an excess expenditure of $44,100.46, due to increased cost of materials on account of the war. The tax rate for 1918 was $1.56 on the hundred dollars. Total value of municipal property was $13,675;000, including lands, bM1dings, stock, automobiles, mechanical equipment, etc.