Home >> Encyclopedia Americana, Volume 8 >> Deane to Democracy >> Delaware Hudson Railroad

Delaware Hudson Railroad

miles, lake, company, tons, coal, operating, railway and freight

DELAWARE & HUDSON RAILROAD. The Delaware and Hudson Railroad system is the outcome of a series of amalgamations of many small lines leased and constructed from time to time by the Delaware and Hudson Canal Company, which was chartered under the laws of the State of New York in 1823 as a coal min ing and transportation corporation. The State also loaned its credit of $500,000 to aid in the construction of a canal from Honesdale, Pa., across the Delaware River to Rondout, N. Y. (Stow a part of the city of Kingston) on the Hudson River, hence the name, Delaware and Hudson.° The canal was completed in 1828 with capacity for boats carrying 25 tons. It was enlarged in 1844 for 40-top boats and again in 1862 for boats of 125 to 150 tons capacity. It was finally abandoned in 1899, with the con sent of the State. The rail lines of the Dela ware and Hudson Company. extend from Wilkesbarre, Pa., to Rouse's Point on the Canadian boundary, with branches to Bingham ton and Troy N. Y., Rutland, Vt.; Lake George and Lake Placid, and some lesser points. In the number and variety of its summer resorts this railroad occupies a unique position, touch ing Cooperstown, Sharon Springs, Round Lake, Saratoga Springs, the Lake George and Lake Champlain resorts, and the eastern gateways into the Adirondack Mountains.

The total mileage operated on 30 June 1916 was 885.63 miles, of which 352.26 miles were owned by the company, and the remainder leased or controlled under trackage rights. The operating revenues for the fiscal year ended 30 June 1916 were $25,933,675, earned by the transportation of 7,459,533 passengers and 22,623,328 tons of freight. The individual passenger travel averaged 17.4 miles at a charge of 22 cents per mile, aggregating 443,297,189 miles and $2,860,283. The freight traffic aver aged 145.31 miles per ton, at 'a charge of 0.658 cents per top per mile, aggregating ton-miles and $21,631,350; The operating ex penses were $16,381,569. After deducting taxes, etc., the total operating income was,912,868. Rents for leased roads amounted to ,006,142, and interest on the funded debt was 712,833.

R The net income which was transferred to profit and loss, was 4,769,972. The dividend appro priation from surplus was $3,825,234.

The equipment of the road on 30 June 1916 consisted of 488 locomotives with an aggregate tractive capacity of 18,274,250 tons, 246 pas senger cars, and 18,818 freight cars, of which 11,431' are coal cars with an aggregate capacity of 463,401 tons. By far the largest freight ton nage of the railroad is coal, amounting in the year quoted to 12,567,166 tons, or 56 per cent of all the freight handled.

The entire investment in road and equipment on 30 June 1916 totaled $68,642,658. Other in vestments, including $6,645,026 in coal lands, amounted to $63,103,256. The total long term debt amounted to $62,798,000, and the credit balance of the profit and loss account was $18,489,610.

In 1915 the company mined 8,100,767 tons of, anthracite coal, which was sold under con traat at the pirmouth to the Hudson Cool Cook4 palsy for $15,860,677.

The Delaware and Hudson system includes, 333.79 miles of electric lines., embracing the) United Traction Company, operating in the cities of Albany, Rensselaer, Troy, Watervliet! Gohoes, Waterford, etc.g tire Hudson Valley, Railway. Company, operating_ front to Warrensburgh and Glens Falls to Mechanics.; ville; the Schenectady Railway .Cotapaayo operating in the counties of • Schenectadri, Albany and Saratoga; and other lines in Troy, and Plattsburgh, N. Y. The company alto,' owns (in Connection with the Rensselaer ands Saratoga Railroad) and operates two fleets ar passenger steamers, one on Lake Charnplairri and the other on Lake George. The .regrula• routes of the Champlain steamers total 159. miles and their excursion routes 112 miles,,; The route of the :Lake George steamers is miles. An interesting event in the history • of the company is the fact that the first steam locomotive ever placed on a railroad in the. western hemisphere, The Stourbridge Lion," • niade its trial trip on the Delaware and Hudson Railroad, between Carbondale and Seeleriille, op 8 Aug. 1829. The locomotive was 'built by Foster Rosvrick• & Company, of Stourbridm England. It arrived in New York in Mast 1829. It was of the grasshopper type with' walking beams and vertical cylinder-S.. The loc.omotive and the tender were each four-% wheeled, with spokes and felloes of wood, friar.. tires and wheel centres. The track on which: it ran was of strap iron spiked next the inner edge to large hemlock sleepers laid on ties. The Delaware and Hudson Railroad sys tem in 1916 included the Albany and Susque hanna Railroad; the Chateaugay and Lake' Placid Railroad; the Cooperstown and Charlotte' Valley Railroad; the Cooperstown and Susque- • henna Valley' Railroad; the Rensselaer • and Saratoga Railroad; the Albany and Vermont Railroad; the Rutland and Whitehall Railroad; the Saratoga and Schenectady Railroad; the Ticonderoga Railroad; the 'Greenwich. and Johnsonville Railway; Napierville Junction Railway; the Northern Coal and Iron Com pany; the Quebec, Montreal and Southern Rail- • way; and the Schoharie Valley Railway.