Home >> Encyclopedia Americana, Volume 8 >> Democratic Party to Or Kurland Courland >> Denver_P1

Denver

miles, public, city, water, south, streets, west and government

Page: 1 2 3

DENVER, Colo., city, capital and com mercial centre of the State, 639 miles west of Kansas City, 538 miles from Omaha, 2,025 miles from New York and 1,457 miles from San Francisco.

It is situated on both sides of the South Platte River at its junction with Cherry Creek, usually a dry stream, but at intervals carrying great floods of water; lat.' 39° 40' 36" N., long. 104° 56' 55" W.; altitude, 5,270 feet. The site of the ((Queen City of the Plains,)) as it has been designated, with an area of 584 square miles, coterminous with the county of Denver, slopes gently back from either bank of the river, and has a com manding view of the main range of the Rocky Mountains, terminating with Pike's Peak on the south and Long's Peak on the north. It lies 15 miles from the foot-hills, the eastern base of the Rocky Mountain Range.

Government, Municipal municipal government is vested in a mayor elected for three years, a mayor's cabinet of four members, consisting of the managers of revenue, safety and excise, parks and improve ments, and health, all appointed by the mayor, and nine elective councilmen. The manufac ture or sale or giving of alcoholic and malt liquors is prohibited by the constitution of the State, and public drinking places do not exist. The city is laid out regularly with broad streets and is substantially built with brick and stone, no wooden structures having been permitted since 1876. In 1915 there were 990 miles of streets, 370 miles of which were graded and surfaced with asphalt or dis integrated granite; 700 miles of sidewalk are uniformly paved with stone or concrete and 38.59 miles of alleys are likewise paved. There are 141.25 miles of storm and sanitary sewers. The streets are generally bordered by trees, the elm and maple being most abundant; but every shade tree known to the local forester can be found.

Public The public utilities are modern in every particular. Street cars oper ated by overhead trolley traverse 203 miles of streets, and in 1915 carried 72,983,000 passen gers. Overhead trolley lines also connect with Golden, 12 miles west, Boulder, 30 miles north west, and Littleton, 10 miles south. Gas, elec tric light and electric power are supplied by the Colorado Power Company. The current used is generated near Glenwood Springs, west of Denver, and transmitted 150 miles, and also near Boulder, whence it is transmitted 50 miles.

Telephone communication exists between Den ver and all communities in neighboring States; long distance service extends to the two oceans. The domestic water supply is furnished by The Denver Union Water Company, a private corporation. Water is taken from the South Platte River, Cherry Creek and Bear Creek at distances varying from 6 to 48 miles from the city. The greater portion of the water is handled through two reservoirs known as Cheesman and Marston lakes, having a joint capacity of 33,000,000,000 gallons, furnishing a storage reserve equal to the needs of at least half a million population. The water from these reservoirs, although of remarkable nat ural purity, is all filtered before reaching the city mains. The daily consumption for domes tic and irrigating purposes averages approxi mately 220 gallons per capita, and at times has reached a maximum of 375 gallons per capita. Sanitary conditions are safeguarded by a health department to which is delegated great power. Inspection of all public and private properties is regularly and carefully made. The mortality record for 1915, based on a population of 250,000, was 1.36.

Public Among the notable public buildings of the city are the State Cap itol and Federal building; the first, constructed of Colorado granite, cost $2,700,000; the sec ond, of Colorado white marble on strictly classic lines, cost $2,400,000; the Federal build ing houses the Federal courts, post-office and other government offices. The United States Mint cost $1,225,000. During 1915 it received in gold and silver bullion $34,842,618, of which $574,175 was gold. Of the total receipts Colo rado smelters and mills furnished $14,303,768. No gold was coined in 1915; $1,987,175 was coined into half-dollars, quarters and nickels; 220,500 pennies were coined. The mint, accord ing to the United States Treasurer, contained on 6 July 1916 $485,000,000. Among other public buildings are the union railroad station costing $1,000,000, two museum buildings, public library, public baths, city hall, county court house, armories, schools and colleges. A stock show stadium has a seating capacity of 7,500 and cost $250,000. An auditorium, erected and controlled by the city, has a seating capacity of 12,000 and is so arranged that it can be re adjusted temporarily for smaller gatherings, for theatre, concert and other purposes.

Page: 1 2 3