DELAWARE, LACKAWANNA AND WESTERN RAILROAD COMPANY, The, is a consolidation of a number of short rail roads originally separate corporations. It was chartered under the laws of Pennsylvania in 1849 as the Ligetts Gap Railroad. This name was changed in 1851 to the Lackawanna and Western Railroad. In 1853 a consolidation was effected with the Delaware and Cobbs Gap Railroad chartered but not yet built, and the present name was then adopted. The system as now operated extends from the seaboard at New York to the Great Lakes at Buffalo. traversing New Jersey, Pennsylvania and southern and western New York, with branches into the slate and cement regions of Pennsyl vania and New Jersey, the anthracite fields of Pennsylvania, and the agricultural, dairy and industrial area of central New York The total mileage operated on 30 June 1916 was 955.06 miles, of which 236.12 miles were owned by the company, and the remainder held under leases and trackage rights. The operat ing revenues for the fiscal year ended 30 June 1916 were $49 335,739, earned by the trans portation of 24,756,837 passengers and 26,458,931 tons of freight. The individual passenger travel averaged 21.83 miles at a charge of 1.566 cents per mile — aggregating in the year 540,372,771 miles, and $8,462,493. The freight traffic aver aged 189.35 miles per ton, at a charge of 0.719 cents per ton-mile — aggregating in the year 5,010,072,493 ton-miles, and $36,034,113. The operating expenses for the year were $29,511, 905. After deducting taxes, etc., the total operating income was $17,609,604. Rentals for leased roads amounted to $5,960,196. The total net income from all sources was $14,289,516, of which $8,444,080 was appropriated for dividends; $2,056,742 for physical betterments; and a balance of $3,788,694 transferred to profit and loss.
The equipment of the road on 30 June 1916 consisted of 733 locomotives with an aggregate tractive capacity of 23,438,100 tons, 535 pas senger cars; and 27,812 freight cars, of which 11,452 were coal cars with an aggregate capacity of 451,110 tons. By far the largest freight ton
nage of the road is coal, amounting in the year cited to 12,200,415 tons, or 46 per cent of all the freight handled.
The entire investment in the road and its equipment on 30 June 1916 was $68,656,640. Other investments of the company amounted to $71,314,561. The total stock outstanding on the date mentioned was $42,291,120, and the total long term debt was $102,600. The credit balance of the profit and loss account was $43,644,436.
The company owns extensive anthracite coal lands in Lackawanna and Luzern counties, Pa. Under the decision of the United States Supreme Court the railroad discontinued its coal business in 1909, and this was taken over by the Delaware, Lackawanna and Western Coal Company. The latter sold in 1915 9,113, 144 tons of coal, valued at the mines at $22, 726,155.
The railroad owns and operates the New York and Hoboken Ferry, connecting the city bi New York with Hoboken, N. I.
The present ((Lackawanna as it is popularly called includes as its oldest com ponent the Ithaca and Owego Railroad, char tered in 1828, completed in 1834. For six years this road was operated by horse power and stationary engines, the company having no locomotives until 1840. Other railroads now a part of the system are the Morris and Essex Railroad; the Newark and Bloomfield Railroad; the Sussex Railroad; the Chester Railroad; the Passaic and Delaware Railroad; the Warren Railroad; the Oswego and Syracuse Railroad; the Syracuse and Binghamton Railroad; the Utica, Chenango and Susquehanna Railroad; the Valley Railroad; the New York, Lacka wanna and Western Railroad; the Bangor and Portland Railroad; and the Erie and Central New York Railroad. An interesting incident in its history relates to the efforts of the railroad to induce the public to use anthracite coal as fuel, many carloads being given away in the early 50s to those who would agree to try it.