DELFSHAVEN, or DELFTSHAVEN, the former being the modern form, once the haven or port of Delft, but now part of the city of Rotterdam, on the river Maas, and the start ing point of the voyage of the Pilgrim Fathers to America, in 1620, and the birth place of Piet Hein, the Dutch admiral who in 1628 captured the West India Spanish plate fleet, with its cargo of $12,000,000 in silver. plate statue is in the little park behind the historic edifice of the Reformed Church. The large island, which formed in the river Maas in front of the town, has been recently reclaimed to the main land, by filling the space occupied by the inner channel. front, facing the river, is the Pilgrims' Ave or quay, named July 1892 in honor of the Separatists sailing for America. They spent the night before embarkation on the Speedwell, in the now greatly altered warehouse of the East India Company, the ship sailing 22 July. After the revival of interest in Pilgrim his tory, a stone from this edifice was, with one from Scrooby, England, and another from Plymouth, Mass., set in the facade of the New England Congregational Church in Chicago. After the great fir; in which this handsome. edifice was gutted, the three stones remained intact. Three large dykes defend Delf shaven. from the water, and her; In 1574, these were cut to flood the country and relieve Leyden.: Two hundred boats' loaded with herrings and bread, moved up the flood and raised the siege. The arms of Delfshaven con tain representatives of green fields and white waters, in alternate strips, with herrings and wheat. In the river Schie which from Leyden
and Delft has for centuries been made into a canal and flowing through D., the Pilgrim boats were moored. On 28 Sept. 1906, in celebration of the 300th anniversary of the sailing of the first Pilgrim company — others followed — a bronze tablet, the Boston Congre gational Club and set in the south wall, was unveiled in the Reformed Church, before an international audience. In the Consistory Room of this church, formerly a cloister chapel built in 1416, is kept a registry book for the Americans and others who visit the place. On the north wall, is a stone from Chicago with a' Greek inscription. In 1915, a storm destroyed several of the larger windows and the Dutch congregation replaced the same in stained glass, with two splendid memorial designs. in cele bration of the "rocking the cradle of a great nation' Other companies of Pilgrims from Leyden sailed later from this port. A picture, painted by one of the Cuyps, father or son, dis covered, in 1895, by George H. Boughton', prob ably depicts the actual scene of embarkation. The rotunda picture in the capitol at Washing 'ton, by Weir, showing luxurious costumes and imaginary hills in the background, was painted before the recovery of the Pilgrim story. Con sult Griffis, 'The Pilgrims in Their Three Homes,) (1914).