NARBONNE, nil ( Lat. Narbo). A town in the Department of Aude, in Southern France, situated ?is miles from the Mediterra nean, and 93 miles by rail southeast of Toulouse I Map: Eranee, J 8). The streets of this formerly important city present a poor appearance, relieved only by those of the attractive new but small quarter. The Church of Saint Just was in olden times the cathedral. It is an imposing though uncompleted structure. begun in the Middle Ages, and exhibiting, many of 111e most daring ideas of the Gothic. Its choir is 131 feet high; the towers ri'c 194 feet. The Gothic Iltitel-de-ville is a creation of Viollet-le-Duc. There is a good mu seum, containing chiefly paintings and ceramics. Narbonne has a b}•drognaphival school and a seminary. Its industries inelnde coopering and distilling establishments. it produces verdigris, candles, tiles. pottery, dyes. and leather. it deals in wine, grain. oil, salt. and sulphur. Its Maley is famous. and its red wine is peculiar to the district. It has a Chamber of Agrieulture and an mnologieal station, the latter established in 1894. The town is on a branch of the impor
tant ('anal du Midi. .\ bout 11 miles to the south is the port La Nouvelle, at the end of the Nar bonne Canal. It is the harbor for Narbonne, and has s111111' ma1nfn1tnries. Population of Nar bonne. in 1901, 28,8:12, a decrease of 700 since 1891. Narbo became Roman in n.c. 116. It was at the time one of the leading ports of the Mediterranean, and well known for its beauty and attractions as a city. It was the capital of the l'rovincia Romana, and later of Gallia Nar bonensis. In the fifth century it passed under the sway of the Visigoths. About 7211 it tell into the hands of the Saracens, from whom it passed into the possession of the Franks in 759. The Viscounts of Narbonne became hereditary feuda tories of the French Crown in 1080. In 1.447 Viscount William Ill. sold Narbonne to the House of Foix, and 60 years later the fief was united with the French Crown. Late in the Middle Ages the harbor of Narbonne became practically filled up and the town began to de cline.