PISTOIA, pec•sta'ya. or PISTOJA. A city in the Province of Florence, Italy, situated at the foot of the Apennines, 20 miles northwest of Florence by rail (Map: Italy, F 4). It is well built. and it is surrounded by lofty and well preserved wall. The city played a prominent part in the early history of architecture and seulpture, and tnauy of its churches bear marks of the influence of the Pisani. The cathedral, built in the twelfth and thirteenth centuries, contains a remarkable silver altar and a monu ment to Cardinal Forteguerra, considered as the first work in marble by Verroeehio. Sant' An drea, one of the oldest churches of Pistoia, is noted for its pulpit. the work of Giovanni Pisan°, and San Francesco al Prato is remarkable for its frescoes of biblical scenes. The ancient palaces of Pistoia are especially interesting. The Ospe dale del Cella) is beautaully decorated with terra cotta ncliefs, (dating from the sixteenth century) and medallions representing biblical scenes. The
Palazzo del Commie and the Palazzo Pretoria are both in the Italian-Gothic style of the four teenth century. There are an imposing bishop's palace, a seminary, an academy of sciences, and two libraries. The principal manufactures are iron and steel wares, especially fire-arms. silks, woolens, paper, and glass. l'istols are said to have been first made here, whence the name. Population (commune) in 1881, 51,552; in 1901, 62,60G.
Pistoia is the Roman Pistoria where Cati line was defeated in u.c 62. It was the scene of much factional strife between the Ghibellines and the Guelphs. In the fourteenth century it became subject to Florence.